Safale - 05 with a 1.070 OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
So i'm wondering what kind of pitching rate to use for an ale that has an OG of 1.070. Can i just use two hydrated Safale - 05 packs? i know one pack isn't sufficient for that kind of OG but I don't know how much extra to pitch. Thanks for the help

I have done several 1.066-1.067 brews using just one packet and they fermented out just fine, finishing in the 1.012-1.014 range. So I am guessing that you should be fine with one pack, if you want a safety margin then use two.

US-05 is a rockstar. Starts quickly and does its job. It is my go to yeast for pale ales.

I have done several 1.066-1.067 brews using just one packet and they fermented out just fine, finishing in the 1.012-1.014 range. So I am guessing that you should be fine with one pack, if you want a safety margin then use two.

US-05 is a rockstar. Starts quickly and does its job. It is my go to yeast for pale ales.
+1 :mug: I've gone into the 1.070s with a single packet of US-05 and came away with well-attenuated beer with no noticeable off-flavors that would indicate stressed yeast. Having said that, I too would recommend using two packets for beers over about 1.060 just to be prudent.

I've got an A-IPA going right now, with an OG of 1.078. Pitched one packet (dry) and it was rockin' in 8 hours. in 24 hours, had to switch to the blow-off tube from airlock, and at 36 hours, krausen was flowin' through the tube! I'm at day 8 of primary fermentation and it's still throwing a good bubble every 5 seconds through the tube, and the krausen is still up there.

S-05 is a powerhouse!

BTW, i pitched 2 packs (dry) on my 2xIPA and was able to take the OG of 1.085 to 1.017. Will be interesting to see where the above batch ends up with one pack.

Did a couple of IPAs that were north of 1.070 using one packet of US-05 with no problems at all. They took a little longer to ferment out than my normal beers but that's to be expected. Each finished in around 1.012-1.014.

Back