Brewershardware RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layne

Reaction score
For those that have Derrins SS RIMS tube, how did you 'enclose' the element?

I used the liquid rubber in a spray-can. Several coats. It's completely insulated and easy to service, but I think I'll pot it in epoxy ultimately. Just re-pot when I replace the element.

Check out my sig.....I used a conduit elbow. You could also use a piece of black PVC or a conduit box. In any case, you should cover the connections in epoxy.

Here's a pic I found while surfing thru the three links in Steve's sig and hundreds of posts...... :D :cross:

I know it's not his, but it'll do!

2010-07-29221520-1.jpg

Sorry....I was lazy. Shoulda just posted the pic. It's secured with a tight press fit onto the back of the element (I bored out the elbow a little bit) and filled with epoxy. It's on there so well I'm actually worried about salvaging the elbow if the element fails!

What size are the holes?
I assume 3/4 or maybe 1/2 where the wire exits, and maybe 1" for the element?
May try to stop at the hardware store on the way home.

I just used a 1" PVC cap. Worked like a charm. Drilled a hole for the wire. For testing I just wrapped some electrical tape around it but will probably use silicone or something.
Love the rims tube!

Check out my sig.....I used a conduit elbow. You could also use a piece of black PVC or a conduit box. In any case, you should cover the connections in epoxy.

What is the reasoning behind potting in epoxy if you use a box? I thought the boxes were watertight.

Sorry....I was lazy. Shoulda just posted the pic. It's secured with a tight press fit onto the back of the element (I bored out the elbow a little bit) and filled with epoxy. It's on there so well I'm actually worried about salvaging the elbow if the element fails!

Ha ha, no sweat. I just ended up using a 1" PVC elbow with threads on one end. I will use that end to seal the wires. I epoxied the PVC to the element nut to hold it in place. When the element goes I will just replace the .68 cents elbow if it breaks when I remove it. My "RIMS toolbox" should be ready tomorrow, just letting the epoxy dry solid before finishing the install. Made a very simple design to use just the RIMS tube for now and will patiently work on the rest of my electric build later on a little at a time.

I too was going to use a 1 inch pvc cap, but how or where are you attatching the ground wire to?

I too was going to use a 1 inch pvc cap, but how or where are you attatching the ground wire to?

I drilled a seperate hole out of the side of the cap to put the ground wire through and ran it to the grounding screw on the rims tube.

What is the reasoning behind potting in epoxy if you use a box? I thought the boxes were watertight.

The element base with the terminals is square, and the conduit opening is round. I used epoxy to bond the element to the box as well as seal it from moisture. Keep in mind, you can get condensation from the temp change, even if it's "water tight". If you pot the elements with epoxy, moisture isn't touching the terminals...no way no how.

The SLB elbow I used had a 1" opening for the element and "I think" a 3/4" for the wires. The element was a tight fit because of the threads on the elbow, so i took a step bit and bored out the threads. It was a perfect fit after that.

Oooooooh, I'm so giddy! Used mine for the first time yesterday. It was AWESOME! Easy to clean out too! I just have mine built in to an old toolbox and mounted the RIMS tube on one end on the lid across. Bungeed the toolbox onto a plastic milk crate and bingo, Bob's your uncle.

I busted my a$$ last week getting my stand, control panel, rims tube and everything else brew ready and was going to brew on it today. I pussed out when I saw the thermometer reading -11. Too cold!
Now I will wait till next Monday and pray it is warmer!

-11!
I don't blame you there.

Yeah, that was with the wind chill. I think the actual was around 6*F. Right now we are at a whopping 14*f.
I know alot of you guys deal with it, but this is really cold for around here!
I did go to the garage to look at my stand though, and installed my 5th faucet on my keezer to take care of the homebrew fix!

My new stand has 2 propane burners. Only the rims tube is electric. I just finished getting everything together, and I am already regretting not going all electric.

My new stand has 2 propane burners. Only the rims tube is electric. I just finished getting everything together, and I am already regretting not going all electric.

Same here Dave. You can still go all electric. I plan on it. With the RIMS for the mash though, I can be a "little" more patient. I really like this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back