Can anyone recommend a good recipe book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Brewing Classic Styles. It is the first "recipe" book any brewer should buy. Frankly, between that book and the recipe database on HomeBrewTalk, that's really all you should ever need.

BCS is the standard these days. If you can find a copy (out of print now) Greg Noonan's Seven Barrels Brewery is excellent, too.

Brewing Classic Styles! Granted, I haven't brewed anything from it yet, I'm going to do the mild as my first AG attempt, but it is a great book. When I was researching it, someone mentioned that it's a recipe book, so you wouldn't read it cover to cover. I beg to differ, as that's just what I did.

I have to say BCS but be sure to include the podcasts to go with it. To have a recipe and able to hear an hour discussion about the recipe and style is priceless.

After listening to all the podcasts I can look at his recipes and know exactly why he used what he used. It's just a great foundation.

I thought about buying it, but I read in the reviews that some recipes call for very rare ingredients (i.e. some rare extracts nobody have ever heard of).

http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Class...ageNumber=2&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

2. This is not really a recipe book for extract brewers. What the authors did was take all grain recipes, then convert them to extract recipes. So, you have instructions for either type of recipe in this book. This is not really true to reality however. For instance the Munich Helles recipe uses Munich malt extract, with an all grain option of mashing Munich malt grain. Where can anyone buy Munich malt extract? It is either extremely rare or does not exist. My local mega-store Midwest Brewing does not have it. I became an all grain brewer so I could brew the Helles (excellent BTW).

Is this the general case? Or is it an isolated case? Are extract recipes' ingredients, in the most case, common?

P.S. Please, no "go AG".

I think the only extract you may not find is the rauch.

Also, if you can steep grains there's absolutely no reason you can't do a simple stove top partial mash. The instructions for that are even in the book or just go with DeathBrewer's method in the beginner forum.

+1 on Brewing Classic Styles. It is a winner.

I've brewed 13 recipes from it and all were good.

Favorites were West Coast Blaster and the Scottish 80.

I also recommend the podcasts. They are a wealth of information.

Back