so i have my first wine ready to be bottled but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
I just racked my first wine for the third time and is ready to go but I put a bright light to it and I can see alot of floaties, I dont know if the wine is contaminated but i tasted it and for a month old wine its pretty good. Is this normal on most wine to have alot of floaties? I even noticed what it looks like a hair floating on it...damn dog! (Husky) he must have walked by when I was working on the wine last time......I am ready to dump it..any suggestion??

If it's only a month old, it's no where near ready to be bottled! When it's crystal clear (no floaties!), it'll be ready. I have a rhubarb wine that I might bottle this spring. (I made it in May 2008). Patience will be rewarded with a good wine!

Yooper is right with the waiting. I have allowed wines to age for over seven months to ensure they are clear and complete. One month and three racks already is a bit much and absolutely to soon.

Unless my wine has excessive levels of sediment build-up, I do not rack any sooner than 1 month between each racking. In other words..... you should now be at three months with your wine instead of one month.

Be patient and you will be rewarded.

Salute! :mug:

Ok....thanks but do I use a solid stopper now or do I leave the air lock on?

Leave the airlock on, even if the fermentation is done there will still be some natural outgassing of CO2 & that will likely push your solid stopper right out of the carbouy; just be sure to keep the liquid levels in your airlock at the proper levels. Regards, GF.

Back