So I just got an old CO2 tank and regulator from my grandpa..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
Here are a few photos I snapped of them:

http://imgur.com/a/pG860

I'm fairly new to kegging (as in I've never done it and hope to soon!) Does anyone see any reason I couldn't use these for a modern setup? There's absolutely no visible damage with any of the components, and they look to be more or less the exact same as what you would buy today.

He used to keep beer on tap at his home (commercial kegs of Pabst or Coors I believe), but he hasn't used them for years so gave everything to me. He also gave me a couple of shanks, a faucet, and a REALLY cool old Pabst tap handle. I'm more than likely going to buy a nice faucet and some fittings, but want to use the tank and regulator if no one sees any reason I couldn't.

Nice score. Steel tanks at 0 pressure may have moisture that may have seeped in and caused rust after sitting around for many years. Take it to a tank swapping shop (should be many to choose from in Pittsburgh) and let them worry about it for $20.

...as stated above.... a food supply place will not fill it if it is "out of date"... things can kill if screwed around with...

I go to Matheson-Valley Gas in West Mifflin - 903 Thompson Run Road, West Mifflin

Not sure where you're at in Pittsburgh, but it's the best place I've found.

Nice score. Steel tanks at 0 pressure may have moisture that may have seeped in and caused rust after sitting around for many years. Take it to a tank swapping shop (should be many to choose from in Pittsburgh) and let them worry about it for $20.

I go to Alloy in Southside - they'll get it hydroed for you, but don't swap. They have reasonably priced fills and will fill up the swappable propane tanks as well.

I'll check in with my old roommate and see where he suggests to swap out propane tanks.

BTW - that regulator looks almost exactly like my old one.

Bringing this post back from the dead, but I'm looking to get my co2 tank filled in Pittsburgh. I live in the south side. I'm going to need to get it tested as well, as it doesn't have any dates on it.

Just built my kegerator, need to get it going!

finlayj said:
Bringing this post back from the dead, but I'm looking to get my co2 tank filled in Pittsburgh. I live in the south side. I'm going to need to get it tested as well, as it doesn't have any dates on it.

Just built my kegerator, need to get it going!

Alloy oxygen - entrance is on 24th about 2 blocks in from double wide. If your tank needs hydro'd they'll have to send it out, but they fill both propane and CO2.

Back