Extgernal Temp Control - temp in Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
Q: It looks like the difference between top freezer and bottom fridge is typically 10 degrees or so??? If I want to set the fridge at 50 degrees (mostly ales):

1. what do you use the freezer part for and

2. what temperature discrepancy do you find between fridge and freezer when using an external controller?

I'm looking at purchasing a used fridge with a very large top freezer. I'm not sure if this is wasted space. What could I use it for if it is too warm for beer?

If you use an external controller then the lower part will be controlled by the controller at the set temperature. The upper part will be somewhat cooler being that the coils are located there but will no longer freeze. I like to use freezers with a controller because the whole interior is open and is the same temperature if the air is circulated.

Q: It looks like the difference between top freezer and bottom fridge is typically 10 degrees or so??? If I want to set the fridge at 50 degrees (mostly ales):

1. what do you use the freezer part for and

2. what temperature discrepancy do you find between fridge and freezer when using an external controller?

I'm looking at purchasing a used fridge with a very large top freezer. I'm not sure if this is wasted space. What could I use it for if it is too warm for beer?

Does anyone know this answer?

I was thinking about the same thing.

I am going to put the themometer in the freezer now to see its temp.

I have been getting steady readings from my fridge portion... I will check the difference over time to get a ball park average for my box.

You could remove the floor of the freezer.
Doubling the space,and getting better cooling. I did

Well... with the fridge at a constant 68 degrees... the freezer is at 39 degrees... almost lager temps.

Back