Cider slow to start - is that normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheeledGoat

DisMember
Reaction score
So this is my first cider - not sure if this is normal or not, but it's been 24hrs and there's not a peep from the airlock. That puppy's not even thinking about bubbling.

I made a starter, too! (about 1 cup cider with yeast x24 hrs, while campden tablets worked). The starter wasn't that active, though... All my beers so far (6 batches) have taken off within 8 hours of pitching my starters. But maybe cider is different? More complex sugars, take longer??

Now, I'm trying not to worry, but I'm wondering where I could have gone wrong;

-I'm pretty sure I aerated well enough.

-I allowed a full 24hrs after the campden tablets, but I bungee-corded a dishtowel over the bucket. Was that too tight/not permeable enough to allow the campden tablets to dissapate?

-Also, I added the pectin enzyme and ascorbic acid at the same time as the campden tablets (it was before I read on the forum here to wait 12hrs). Maybe I lost the benefit of the pectin enzyme? Would that completely inhibit fermentation?

FYI: (if it matters) - OG of juice alone was 1.041, I added 2lb of Belgian Candi Sugar 0L to get it up to 1.054.

As it turns out, this may be a blessing in disguise. I just read this post from CvilleKevin. AWESOME! (Except for the fact that my Wyeast Cider Yeast is on his "don't recommend" list).

Now, at this point I'm thinking about hitting the reset button: tossing more campden tablets in there, doing the pectin enzyme correctly (at 12hrs) and going with Safale-04 this time.

Good idea? Bad idea? Should I try to aerate it again?

Can anybody spare me a clue? I'm fresh out over here... :confused:

liquid yeast is notorious for taking a few days to start- atleast every time i use them it takes a few days. Give it a few days and if it didint start then i would reptich. My cider took a few days to start off also.

Same here, I have only used liquid yeasts once and it took its sweet time starting up. Don't worry until you hit 72+ hours

ah - good to know!!

but the more I think about it, CvilleKevin's review of my yeast makes me wanna hit the reset button...

Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast - Tested with pasteurized and unpasteurized juice, sweetened and unsweetened. Of these, only the sweetened unpasteurized juice was drinkable, and just barely

now who would want to make a cider like that? especially his first batch?

any harm in using campden to kill it and start over?

I pitched my cider Friday night and it was not until Monday afternoon that I saw any air lock activity. If you have the time... you might want to repitch with another yeast? Good luck

ah - good to know!!

but the more I think about it, CvilleKevin's review of my yeast makes me wanna hit the reset button...

now who would want to make a cider like that? especially his first batch?

any harm in using campden to kill it and start over?

Well, you could just stun the cider yeast you pitched, and then have it take off anyway. I'd wait it out. If you feel like you have to do something, go stir it really well. That will help any excess sulfite disapate, and will oxygenate the must. You can stir it as often as you want until the SG reaches the 1.020 range. In two days, take an SG, and see if it's started yet.

hmmm... so the campden isn't a sure kill for pitched yeast. OK!

thanks for the post! i came in here to check the computer to see if there were any more replies right before heading downstairs to break out the campden. you probably stopped me from doing something stupid!

i guess i'll just have to make another batch with the Safale04!!! :mug:

thanks!!

Its not over till its over. Taste is subjective and someone else thinking the yeast sucks is not a sure thing. Plenty of people like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat but i think it tastes like saitans Anus....Relax and if it doesnt turn out then you can always do another batch.

Err.. so I still haven't witnessed any action out of my airlock, but when I went into my basement after work today, there was definitely a smell in the air. Being my first cider, I'm not sure if it's the "right" smell or not. I get the feeling it's not the "right" smell.

After staring at my airlock for a minute and seeing no activity, I pressed down on the lid (to see if any pressure had built up) - no bubbles. There was still play in the airspace between the cider and the lid.

Confused because of the smell, I did it. I opened the flippin lid.
Cider_Krausen1.JPG
Cider_Krausen2.JPG

Worse yet, the OG hasn't moved much, if at all. OG was 1.054 @ 71F, tonight (48hrs later) I read 1.052 @ 70F.

I know I'm probably being a noob and checking it too soon, and I should probably just leave it alone... but I got a gut feeling this one's botched. I was hoping somebody would have some input on what's in those pics??

Is it too late to save if it's something other than my yeast getting down in my primary? Re-sterilize and re-pitch?? I'd really hate to waste $42 worth of cider...

It looks like you have a krausen there. Stop worrying so much! I'd sanitize a big plastic or nylon spoon and stir it well. That get rid of the cap and give some oxygen to the fermentation.

so it looks relatively normal, eh?? sweeeeet. thanks for the advice!

I'd sanitize a big plastic or nylon spoon and stir it well. That get rid of the cap and give some oxygen to the fermentation.

do you mean try and spoon out the krausen, or stir it in? (i've read that it's beneficial to remove beer's krausen if you can since it contains bitter hop oil resins... but we have no hops here...)

so it looks relatively normal, eh?? sweeeeet. thanks for the advice!

do you mean try and spoon out the krausen, or stir it in? (i've read that it's beneficial to remove beer's krausen if you can since it contains bitter hop oil resins... but we have no hops here...)

No, no- just stir it up to aerate. The cap will reform. You don't have to do it, but I like to.

By stirring it, you are just trying to introduce more oxygen into the brew. In the initial stages of fermentation, the yeasts need oxygen. Once fermentation has slowed (1.010-1.020) that is when you want to limit the amount of oxygen in it as much as possible.

I would also prevent any stirring or shaking of your cider after the fermentation has started. It seems like a great idea at the time and the airlock starts moving real good again but you are better off leaving what has fallen out at the bottom of the fermenter. Besides that stirring and shaking after fermentation started can also stress the yeast.

Here's an update for all of you out there, sitting on the edge of your seat, refreshing this thread every 5 minutes...

It took off! The day after I gave it a stir, I got home from work to see a nicely bubbling airlock (1 bub every 1-2 seconds). I never did witness what I usually see for beer after pitching a starter (a "boiling" airlock) but this is good enough for me!

Thanks for the tip about not stirring or shaking after fermentation has started, OTD! During active fermentation, I've been known to give the primary a few turns where it sits (without picking it up or shaking it, just turning it), just to let things mix together a little bit. Should I cut that out?

I guess I deserve that NOOB stamp on my forehead after all! I'm gonna go try to RDWHAHB. Even though you beer vets may get tired of pampering us noobs, you might have forgotten what it's like to be new, and how much we value your help and input during these uncertain times.. Much appreciated!!!!! :mug:

Back