why separate liquor from mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Hi all, what would be the effect of, at the end of the mash, adding enough water to give the required length, adding some hops, and boiling for 60 minutes, adding more hops as needed and finally straining at end of boil? In other words, all the pale malt grain will be boiled.

you'd extract ALL the tannins from the grain, and make very nasty beer. Also you'll likely develop some of the gluten in the grain, thus giving almost chewy beer. Likely you will scorch some of the grain on the bottom of the brew pot giving a really nasty flavor.

Tannins! It would taste like you're sucking on a used tea bag.

EDIT: Dag-nabbit Kahuna! You beat me by like 2 seconds.:cross:

Biggest problem would be tannin extraction from the grain. Tannins lead to extreme bitterness and off flavors and tannins can become an issue if the grain temperature goes over about 170 deg F (which it would if you boiled it).

ok guys, thanks, I won't try it, but.... some recipes suggest taking out some of the mash, boiling it and returning it as a way of keeping the mash temperature up and to affect the style of the brew....

ok guys, thanks, I won't try it, but.... some recipes suggest taking out some of the mash, boiling it and returning it as a way of keeping the mash temperature up and to affect the style of the brew....

That's decoction mashing. It's really a whole separate thing. It is a bit confusing, but there's a method to the madness.

Latest posts

Back