Bottled Water V Tap Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Thats the question....

I was thinking about using some form of "purified" water in my next batch, just to see how it affect my final product. Is this the right way to go by just buying a sh*t ton of bottled aquafina or should I go buy those big milk jugs full of water at wal-mart? *for example*

What does everyone suggest?

I would advise against using bottled water. Unless it's distilled water, there is a very good chance that it is not pure. Do a google search on bottled water and bacteria and you'll find that bottled water is really not all it's cracked up to be. IMHO, I'd get the water report from your tap source, and go off of that; it'll be more reliable and consistent than bottled water would be. If you use either DI or distilled water, then you'll have to add everything back into it to make it suitable for the style you're brewing. I personally just go with the tap water, it's easier and requires far less effort.

Thats the question....

I was thinking about using some form of "purified" water in my next batch, just to see how it affect my final product. Is this the right way to go by just buying a sh*t ton of bottled aquafina or should I go buy those big milk jugs full of water at wal-mart? *for example*

What does everyone suggest?

Just for curiosity or because you have an issue you are trying to diagnose?

I have one of those faucet mounted activated carbon filters. I will collect all the water I need for my batch.

Another water source I use is a local free flowing spring. I'll take my carboys, primary buckets, and some other vessels, and fill them all. Usually getting 20 to 30 gallons at a time.

I don't think it's cost effective to purchase bottled water. If you are trying to replicate a specific brew, then you could get a water analysis, and add in the components needed to get your water as close to the water from the area that brews the style you are trying to make. There are chemical compound lists for the water, from certain cities around the world.

Do you dislike the taste of your tap water? That's always been my yardstick: If I like the taste of the tap water where I am living, I brew with it. But then, I'm also not very picky and too cheap to buy bottled water. :)

I just bought a water filter for $40, hooks right up to my spicket outside. This should last me years. I was buying bottled water (about $10 a brew) b/c there is a lot of chlorine in my tap water.

I just bought a water filter for $40, hooks right up to my spicket outside. This should last me years. I was buying bottled water (about $10 a brew) b/c there is a lot of chlorine in my tap water.

We have heavily chlorinated water too due to the overlaod of duck crap in the reservoir. Doesn't the chlorine boil out? If not, I think I would prefer the duck crap. :(

Could chlorine present a problem in the mash? Also, if you are doing partial boils, or need to add water then it could be an issue.

I found this info on All About Beer .....

Unfortunately, chlorine can produce some undesirable effects in beer. For one, it can have an inhibitory effect on the growth of yeast. Second, it has been implicated in the formation of unpleasant flavor compounds known as chloro-phenolics. These compounds taste like plastic resin or burning electrical wire. Not a good thing to include in your beer.

To avoid these effects, most brewers remove chlorine from their water before brewing. There are several ways to do this. The low-tech way is to simply boil the water for 30 minutes or so prior to adding any malt or hops. This volatilizes the chlorine to separate it from the water, but requires a bit of time prior to brewing. This approach can be awkward when you need 6 gallons of water but can only boil 4 gallons at a time. Also, if you need cold water to fill your fermenter, you'll have to boil and then chill the water, wasting both time and energy.

The best alternative to boiling is the carbon filter. This method is routinely used in commercial breweries and by most serious homebrewers as well. Home-sized units are found in most hardware stores and come in various sizes and capacities. For brewing, it is easiest to use a unit that attaches directly to your kitchen faucet. These usually have a by-pass valve for times when you want unfiltered water for cleaning and they provide a reasonable flow-rate, usually for less than $30.

Sounds to me that I will keep using my faucet filter.

Here is John Palmer on water.

Actually my water report came in the same EXACT format as yours and...it didnt tell me much.

Take a loot at mine: http://www.ci.miramar.fl.us/utilities/docs/waterreport07.pdf

I emailed my water provider for the concentrations in ppm (parts per million) of: Calcium hardness, Magnesium hardness, sulfate, sodium, chloride, carbonate, bicarbonate, and pH.

And most importantly!!!!!! You want to make sure which plant you get the the water report for. I have 2 water plants about 15 miles away from each other and in some cases the ion concentrations are VERY different. I'm talking 85 ppm calcium hardness in the East Plant and 10 ppm calcium hardness in the West Plant

Hope this helps

Back