Bourbon Barrel Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asgard

Reaction score
I've made this recipe a few times now and I really love the result, so I thought I'd share. It's inspired by one of my favorite beers, Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter.

Essentially you just make a basic cider template, back sweeten with apple juice concentrate, and add bourbon that's been soaking some oak cubes for 3 days. The amount of back-sweetening and bourbon/oak can be easily varied to taste, but I'll give you all my starting point and you can play with it from there.

Cider Template:
5 gallons apple juice (I prefer Kirkland brand if you have a Costco)
1 tbsp yeast nutrient
Nottingham yeast

I'm not sure if there is an official name for this, but I refer to it as my cider template. I always have 5 gallons of this sitting in my basement waiting for a keg spot to free up and then I decide how I want to finish it. After you add the yeast it should take ~2 weeks for it to ferment and clarify, etc. After that it can keep indefinitely until you're ready to finish it.

Finishing:
2 cans apple juice concentrate. (I use tree top but I don't think it matters much)
2 cups bourbon.
2 oz. toasted oak cubes.

Soak the oak cubes in the bourbon for 3 days, strain out the bourbon, and add the bourbon and apple juice concentrate to the cider template. Store the cider by your preferred method (as mentioned, I like to just Keg it for simplicity).

The result should be a pleasantly dry, crisp cider with some hints of a bourbon's rich savory taste and oak tones. If you don't know, you can easily buy toasted oak cubes from your local home brew supply store or at any number of brew stores online.

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ {68 C } or 68F ??

I have a batch of this running now. Do you have a preferred bourbon for this?

I got a plain 5 gallon batch of cider aging and was also wondering what bourbon you used.
Thanks!

So I wonder how they Jack Daniels smoking chips you can buy for your smoker would work on this?

Also, how's the sweetness after the AJC being added?

Looks like a good one

How long are you letting it sit on the Oak Chips?

Has anyone tried this/similar with rum? I'm getting ready to start a basic cider (juice + S05 + mabe some turbinado sugar depending on the SG of the juice), thinking a gold rum, or possibly a spiced rum with the oak.

A couple Bourbons that will make a great addition are Evan Williams Single Barrel, and Eagle Rare 10 year old Bourbon. Very nice oak, vanilla, caramel, leather, cigar...

Has anyone tried this/similar with rum? I'm getting ready to start a basic cider (juice + S05 + mabe some turbinado sugar depending on the SG of the juice), thinking a gold rum, or possibly a spiced rum with the oak.

Oh hell ya! You read my mind!

This recipe sounds really good.

Also, I'm not a big fireball whiskey fan, but if you guys haven't tried it already, add a shot to your next glass of cider you drink. "It tastes like Reniassance Festival". Adds a nice spiced flavor and compliments hard cider very well.

If you like that try Tennessee Fire I find it much better, not as harsh.:tank:

This recipe sounds really good.

Also, I'm not a big fireball whiskey fan, but if you guys haven't tried it already, add a shot to your next glass of cider you drink. "It tastes like Reniassance Festival". Adds a nice spiced flavor and compliments hard cider very well.

I'd really like to try this, but I HATE it when an OP drops a recipe and ghosts.

Has anyone actually tried this? I see a lot of questions, but no answers from guys (or gals) saying I did this when I made it and it was awesome.

I havent done this exact recipe but every cider i do i drop a few bouebon soaked woodchips in 6 bottles or so. Ive had good results. Probly the best with dry plain cider i make mine to 8%

I have never made this exact recipe but.. I am a Jack Daniels drinker and I LOVE using my apple cider as a chaser after a shot of JD or making a JD & Cider drink. I do have a cosco so I think I'll give this a try some day when I'm looking for something to ferment

Larry
Toxic Cellar

I have tried Evan William and it came out good, I tried Buffalo Trace and that is what I am using now. I have made a few Cider Blends and Buffalo Trace is much more mellow.
Vanilla Bourbon Apple Cider
Blueberry Bourbon Apple Cider

Hehe, I forgot a posted this here. It's been a while since I last made this (had to take a break from Homebrewing while I was locked in my house for a few years.....).

In answer to the questions:
I never overthink my cider, so I can't even tell you the temperature. It's just in my basement, so probably ~68F. I don't bother focusing on the time, either. Just make sure it's at least 14 days and if it sits on the yeast for an extra 1-3 weeks I've never noticed a difference.

For my bourbon, I like to keep it cheap and extra aged. Jim Beam Black label is my go to, but I've used others that are similar. Cheers and happy brewing!

Back