Polarware, Efficiency, Copper Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomcat333

Reaction score
For the others out there with the Polarware brew pot (mine is 40qt), are you getting decent mash efficiencies with the Polarware false bottom?

I have consistently gotten lower yields than I'd like using the false bottom (~67-70%), and I'm guessing it's because of the large space under the false bottom (~1 gallon or so) and the outlet being on one side. So...

I said screw it and used my day off to build a copper manifold. It should give a better flow distribution. This is how it came out. I dropped a bit of food coloring in some water to see how it pulled. So far so good... no major bias in flow.

10254-ManifoldDye.JPG

- Andy

Sweet! I don't have a polarware, just a crummy Bayou Classic thin wall, but I royally screwed up the sidewall when I mounted my ball valve, PLUS I still don't have a hop screen for said ball valve.... so I'm seriously debating a new kettle purchase (or keggle, if people in town have any luck on their searching)
I definitely like that manifold though... that should be super cool in use!
Any worries about scorching wort due to "hot spots" though?

In the past I've done mostly infusion mashes plus a bit of heating to adjust as needed. But yeah I'll have to watch out for scorching if I need to heat much.

What I'd really like to do is hook up a two-way valve so I can heat with steam through this same manifold and then change the valving to lauter... That's a little ways out though. If I end up doing that, I could have just used a cooler and saved the money. But no need worrying over that now.

They can... I haven't soldered it yet. Any experience with different orientations???

I have a copper manifold similar to yours. I made slotted holes with my sawzaw in a vise (don't have a jigsaw or bandsaw). The slots are about 1/8" wide and 1/3 thru the 1/2" copper tube. I placed the holes facing up. I was generous and have about 35 holes. I've read that a fast flow in mash out is good. My rationale is the bottom side of the tubing is smooth, and will allow a faster flow rate. I have never had a stuck mash yet, although I've only used it 5 times.

gonzo brewer said:
I have a copper manifold similar to yours. I made slotted holes with my sawzaw in a vise (don't have a jigsaw or bandsaw). The slots are about 1/8" wide and 1/3 thru the 1/2" copper tube. I placed the holes facing up. I was generous and have about 35 holes. I've read that a fast flow in mash out is good. My rationale is the bottom side of the tubing is smooth, and will allow a faster flow rate. I have never had a stuck mash yet, although I've only used it 5 times.
how much does it leave in the bottom of the tun?

The bottom of my manifold is about 1" from the bottom of the cooler. I tilt the cooler near the end of the runnings and get most out. I leave about 1/2 quart as "dead space".

Back