My Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galacticbrewing12

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a GE 7 cubic foot chest freezer in order to build my keezer. I was able to get it cheap through my local Sears store. I figured it should fit about 3 or 4 corneys along with a CO2 tank. I had already bought a Johnson controls temperature control in order to control the temperature range within the freezer. Also, I bought a cheap digital themostat to keep track of the humidity and high/low temperature on a daily basis.

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

I picked up two corny kegs and a CO2 tank from my local homebrew shop. I placed them in the freezer to see if I needed to actually build a collar. After looking at it the top of the CO2 tank was a bit too high plus once I attach the regulator it would get in the way.

I then removed the door to the chest freezer in order to take the dimensions for the collar. I plan on placing some weather stripping ontop of the chester freezer to ensure a good seal once the collar is placed on top.

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

Seriously though. What is the advantage of a converted freezer over a refrigerator? More keg space? Cause I can fit four kegs in my fridge and still have a freezer to store my hops and stuff in.

Is that the $190 model they have on sale right now? I thought of grabbing one but it doesn't look like 4 kegs will fit, or will they?

Below you can see the CO2 2-product regulator with the air hoses attached. For now I plan on having just two kegs to pump CO2 into. I plan on adding a stout tap later on, being that I love stout beers and would love to have a year round dedicated stout tap.

Then after taking measurements for the collar I cut the 2x4s. I decided against making a miter cut based upon the fact that even with the slightest mistake on the angle the pieces of wood would not fit together. I decided to simple cut the wood to the right length with my table saw and just used wood glue to ensure there was a good seal. I also used a few 90 degree angle clamps to ensure the wood was sealed correctly.

I then used a 7/8 drill bit to drill out the two holes for shanks. I just had to use my Dremel drill sander tool to smooth out the holes I drilled. Now it is time to get the collar attached to the keezer.

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

Seriously though. What is the advantage of a converted freezer over a refrigerator? More keg space? Cause I can fit four kegs in my fridge and still have a freezer to store my hops and stuff in.

I like the fact that I don't have to worry about drilling through the fridge to ensure the insulation is not impacted. Also, I can still build it into a full bar in the future. With a fridge you can't really do that and I already have a secondary fridge right next to my keezer, so I am able to store plenty of beer, harvested yeast, hops and other brewing supplies.

I then was able to attach the collar and ensured that it fit well to the top of the keezer.

I simply reused the door hinges from the chest freezer, which actually worked well. I wanted to have the ability to lift the collar easily instead of just being able to lift the door to the keezer. You can see how the collar easily lifts when attached to the keezer. Now it is time to get the keezer door re-attached along with inserting the shanks and taps.

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Here is a look now that I have attached the shanks and chrome taps. I plan on buying some tap handles to utilize in the future, but for now the standard black tap handles do the trick. I plan on eventually staining the wood to give it a better apperance, but for now I just want to get it up and running. I know that it would be easier to do it up front, but I didn't want to delay getting the keezer built just based upon some aesthetic looks.

As you can see at the bottom I have a digital themostat. I still have to attach the beer lines, but we are making some progress.

I just was making sure I had proper clearance behind the keezer, so that when I lifted the collar or door the wall would not get in the way. Also, I wanted to try and get an idea for what type of length I need to leave for my beer lines.

Now I have finally have the beer line attached from my keg of Hefeweizen. Unfortunately, this was my first extract brewing experience and the burner was turned up too high and caused some scouring on the bottom. I poured a couple glasses and let the beer sit in the fridge for a few weeks until I had to give up on it. It was extremely burnt and tasted like smoke, so there was no chance a recovering it. As we all know home brewing is an experiemental process and this proved to be a great learning experience to do a better job a controlling the temperature on my burner.

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

Now I've got the chest freezer door re-attached we are good to go.

My wife actually found these two nice tap handles at a local thrift shop that were only $15 a piece and in great condition. I plan on getting another drip tray to ensure I have the proper converage.

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Here are a few other tap handles I was able to find on eBay. Being that I plan on brewing a lager later this year I thought having a staple like Samuel Adams Boston Lager was a good one to have. Though my pride and joy is the Founders Breakfast Stout tap handle. It is easily my favorite beer in the world and being that I am such a stout lover I plan on getting plenty of use out of this one. Lastly, I got a Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen tap being that it is in my opinion the best Hefeweizen in all the world. I may be a little partial to breweries from the Pacific Northwest being that is where I grew up. I hope to have a bit better luck on brewing a Hefeweizen next year when I take a stab at it again.

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

Here is a recent upgrade a finally made this past week. I was able to get my chrome stout tap installed now that I most recently brewed an Irish Dry Stout and kegged it. I can't wait to taste it once I get my mixed gas tank, so I can drink a stout the way it is intended ti be served. I plan on getting either a 16'' or 24'' wall mount drip tray with a drain in the coming months to improve the look of the keezer.

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

Well I finally got my mixed gas tank in after waiting a week and have my stout keg hooked up in the center. The new regulator took a little getting use to, plus it didn't help that I was shipped the wrong ball air lock. I had to go back up to my local homebrew store to pick up a new one after already driving up there earlier in the day. Along with that issue I didn't have beer line, so I had to pick up some more as well. I plan on getting some zip ties this week to help clean things up, being that I have a porter currently in my primary fermentor. I plan on the porter being ready to keg in about 2 weeks, but will just hook the porter up to the CO2.

I don't plan on having any further updates until probably next month once I get a new drip tray. Let me know what you think or any suggestions for improvement with the understanding that I am not the most handy guy in the world.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

hmmm.... I might have to rethink my Keezer ideas.

I too want to run 4 kegs, already ahave a 20# Co2 tank... and 3 will be Co2, 1 keg beergas for a stout tap (4 taps total)...

I don't think I'd like the 2x4 collar... I might have to go 2x8 or even bigger. I want the shanks up above the kegs with some play room... & I don't think a 2x4 height will do it for the 20# tank. thx for the pics! Helps deciders

hmmm.... I might have to rethink my Keezer ideas.

I too want to run 4 kegs, already ahave a 20# Co2 tank... and 3 will be Co2, 1 keg beergas for a stout tap (4 taps total)...

I don't think I'd like the 2x4 collar... I might have to go 2x8 or even bigger. I want the shanks up above the kegs with some play room... & I don't think a 2x4 height will do it for the 20# tank. thx for the pics! Helps deciders

As you can see there is clearance above the kegs, but based upon what your looks for I think you would be just fine using 2x8s.

I used 2 x 8 on mine so I could fit one on the hump. My keezer is smaller but fits 4 kegs with the collar. I have my 20# tank on the outside.
Nice build.

Back