Help me please (converting partial mash recipe to partial boil)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskier

Reaction score
I read the part of "Brewing Classic Styles" where it explains how to convert a full boil to partial boil, but that is for liquid malt extract. Basically, you just add half the extract during the last minute of the boil. How does it work with a partial mash recipe like the one I have below? Do I just collect all the runnings, add half the extract, and then add the other half during the last minute? Why do I get the feeling this is going to be more complicated than that?

Thanks in advance.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Vienna Lager
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Vienna Lager
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.27 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.90 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 14.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 90.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 36.6 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 24.4 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
3.2 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.4 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsen Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 30.5 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 18.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [35.49 Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 3.2 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 8.13 qt of water at 160.0 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.17 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't even bother with splitting up the extract. Just add it at the beginning. The whole idea behind late addition extract is mainly to keep it from darkening.

My big fear here is that, somehow, I'll get a really watered down product at the end. I understand the process as it relates to extract, because of how concentrated it is. I was just worried that, since I have more grain than extract in this batch, that the partial boil amount won't be as concentrated, and adding top off water at the end will have different results.

Thanks for your suggestions. I may just add it all to the beginning in this case, since it's supposed to be a darker beer anyway (with the carafa thrown in specifically to bump up the color).

My big fear here is that, somehow, I'll get a really watered down product at the end. I understand the process as it relates to extract, because of how concentrated it is. I was just worried that, since I have more grain than extract in this batch, that the partial boil amount won't be as concentrated, and adding top off water at the end will have different results.

Thanks for your suggestions. I may just add it all to the beginning in this case, since it's supposed to be a darker beer anyway (with the carafa thrown in specifically to bump up the color).

You won't get a "watered down product", if you're using the same amount of extract and topping off with water it really doesn't matter if you add the extract early or late for that.

The reason to add the extract late in the boil is more for the final taste of the beer. Adding it at the end of the boil means less maillard reactions, and a less "cooked extract" taste, and more like the all-grain version of the same beer.

You won't get a "watered down product", if you're using the same amount of extract and topping off with water it really doesn't matter if you add the extract early or late for that.

The reason to add the extract late in the boil is more for the final taste of the beer. Adding it at the end of the boil means less maillard reactions, and a less "cooked extract" taste, and more like the all-grain version of the same beer.

Sounds good to me. Thanks

Back