Independent Malt Producers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwwbrennan

Reaction score
Are there cooperative or small, local malt producers? Malt producers appear to be owned by very large companies (e.g. Cargill. GrainCorp). From the King Arthur Flour cooperative to small local entities there are a lot of great food producers not using the multinational corporation model. It seems natural for home brewers to support independent producers as well.

Valley Malt looks interesting for those in the area and inspiring for those who aren't. Have they expanded beyond "the Northeastern craft and home brewer" as stated in their mission statement?

Gambrinus in British Columbia seems to be part of Cargill:
http://www.cargillfoods.com/na/en/p...malts/gambrinus-malting-corporation/index.jsp
(Considering the name there may be other Gambrinus malting companies than the one in BC.)

It's odd that you should mention King Arthur flour. King Arthur is just a brand that distributes flour contract milled by Lindley Mills.

Check out Riverbend Malthouse in Asheville, NC. I'm looking forward to getting some malt there this week.

http://www.rahr.com/

Rahr is gigantic but still family owned. They're local for me.

I talked at length to a new local micro about grain sources - it's a pretty cut throat business, Cargill was pitching them hard to move over from Rahr.

It's odd that you should mention King Arthur flour. King Arthur is just a brand that distributes flour contract milled by Lindley Mills.

Check out Riverbend Malthouse in Asheville, NC. I'm looking forward to getting some malt there this week.

I'm amazed what I learn when I let my guard down. I've long been impressed with the transfer of the company to a cooperative and just assumed they milled the flour. They even say they buy milled flour in a video on their site.

Lindley Mills is no new kid on the block. They've been around longer than the country. River Bend looks interesting as well.

Thanks for that.

Excellent thread! Did a quick scope on the web and found one near me in NC but it looks like there not doing 50# sacks yet?

Worth some more research for sure!

http://riverbendmalt.com/?page_id=8

I'm going to stop by and pick up a bag of pale and a bag of wheat this week, just call or email and they'll be happy to sell you a bag or ten and give you a tour, too.

TNGabe said:
I'm going to stop by and pick up a bag of pale and a bag of wheat this week, just call or email and they'll be happy to sell you a bag or ten and give you a tour, too.

I am weirdly excited to have a local producer and I'm curious to see how their 6-row performs. Do you know if they have the diastatic power figures anywhere?
Oh, and I was so exited that I didn't realize that there about 6.5 hours away : /

I'll ask about the diastatic power figures when i stop by today. No wheat til the end of the month, but I'm getting some rye instead. Rye saison sounds like a good one for the cooler months! I'm stoked, I've been to oodles of breweries, but never to a malthouse.

Just got back from a trip where I took a half day to visit Riverbend malting. Got a 48# bag of their Heritage 6 row which is sort of a biscuity Munich malt. The kernel size is small, even for 6-row but I'm very excited about trying it. The flavor is very good. It was one if about a dozen bags available probably due to being short fills. All other malt in the warehouse was spoken for.
BTW; those guys are very friendly and accommodating. It's a small converted warehouse where they do floor malting by hand 1-2 tons at a time. Brian went out of his way to make it open for me and a buddy of mine to visit. Very nice.

Just got back from a trip where I took a half day to visit Riverbend malting. Got a 48# bag of their Heritage 6 row which is sort of a biscuity Munich malt. The kernel size is small, even for 6-row but I'm very excited about trying it. The flavor is very good. It was one if about a dozen bags available probably due to being short fills. All other malt in the warehouse was spoken for.
BTW; those guys are very friendly and accommodating. It's a small converted warehouse where they do floor malting by hand 1-2 tons at a time. Brian went out of his way to make it open for me and a buddy of mine to visit. Very nice.

Very cool, thanks for sharing this!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395071747.561014.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395071766.659734.jpg

It took her a while to get it up the steps, but by the time I finished my beer, I discovered that she had made it. :D

Back