Culturing from dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
Not that I'm planning to do this anytime soon, but I'm interested in the process itself. The micro near where I live (Microbrasserie Charlevoix, their website is atrocious, don't bother searching for it) has a series of Belgian beers that are pretty damn tasty, especially the "Blanche", wich is probably a simple wit. They don't exactly brew to style, but you can taste the wheat and pils.

It's my gf favourite craft brew: slight clove, cinnamon and banana (no taste, only aroma), intense spice feeling and moderate malt. Altough I haven't been able to talk directly to the owner, the small amount of research I have done (ie. sampling) shows that they use the same yeast for all their Belgian style beers and altough it might not be exclusive, I cannot find a direct match.

So I tought about buying 3 500ml bottles of the 5% ABV "Blanche" and cultivating the dregs from them. I really don't know what will come out of this, but it'll be a fun experiment ! Can I just sanitize the lip with a flame, pitch the sediment from the three bottles into a masson jar with 150ml of 1.030 wort, wait until fermentation finishes and then step up to a liter of wort, or do I need to carefully step up ? Do I need to keep everything in the fridge ? Getting fresh bottles is probably crucial, but I live 2 minutes way from 6 places that sell the beer, so it won't be a problem.

Step up gradually, and make the wort something like a 1.020-1.025 to start off with, you want to nurse those stressed yeast back to health.

If they're bottle conditioned, then you can make a starter from the yeast in the bottles.
However, often commercial beer is bottle conditioned using a different yeast than that used for fermentation. If this is the case, you may not get the results you are hoping for.
You could make the initial starter with 100 - 150 ml of wort, and the yeast from just one bottle, and then step it up to 1 liter without any problem. That's what I used to do. See http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast-propagation-and-maintenance-principles-and-practices for some great information on starters.

-a.

Yeah, I don't know if they bottle condition with the same yeast strain. Worth a try though.

Back