Wooops, left my yeast in the car overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPaulson

Reaction score
Think this is bad? It hasn't broken 70 here in the last three days and it's been cloudy. I doubt the temp in my trunk went higher than 75 at any point. I just put them in the fridge. I'm brewing tomorrow. Think I'll have a problem?

It should be just fine. Yeast are really hardy little bastards and its hard to kill em unless they get really hot. Heck, they can often survive freezing.

My roommate left the fridge door open a crack and inside felt room temp (68-70ish) and my yeast did a whole lot better than I had expected.

Your yeast is totally destroyed. Send it to me for proper disposal.:)
In fact, it's probably infected your car. You'd better send that as well.:D
Seriously, a day or so at that temperature won't be an issue.

-a.

I had my yeast shipped here(arizona) a few weeks ago. It sat by my front door in direct sunlight for at least 5 hours. It was about 110 degrees that day. The inside of the box was an oven and all my ingredients were pretty hot. I put the yeast in the fridge asap and brewed with it a week later. Everything turned out great. You'll be fine.

I just received a batch of yeast that took two weeks to get here. The yeast spent about 4 days in a truck, 5 days on a barge, and one day waiting to be picked up, all with no ice pack. Made a starter 36 hours ago with one of the bottles of WLP400, for a SWMBO Slayer that I am chilling at the moment. Yeast-critters are doing quite well and made a nice bubbly starter, and will be swimming in the wort in about 5 minutes. :D

Back