I need help purchasing a new kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
My old top mount from 1988 is killing our electric and swmbo wants me to get a new fridge. I need one that I can hook a garage kit up too or I was thinking getting two chest freezers. One I would use my johnson controller on and use for kegs and beer and another for an actual freezer. Are chest freezers be put in the garage for over the winter? What do you guys recommend?

A freezer (or fridge for that matter) in the garage really depend on where you live and the climate. If the temps get below freezing in your garage than you risk the beer in your keezer freezing. Of course the one your using as an actual freezer will only have to work hard in the summer.....

We had some really cold temperatures here last winter. My garage isn't heated and only one wall is really insulated.

Nothing froze at all. Compressor rarely ran though.

I know we had sub-zero windchills, but if you're further north you'd probably have issues.

Can I just add a light bulb to keep temperatures warmer?

Back