Soaking of sanitizing caps before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle a batch of Coopers Wheat into glass bottles. Do I need to soak the caps or sanitize them? I've been using the PET bottles, but this batch is going into glass. Thanks in advance for anyones help.

NO need to boil just starsan. I used to put mine in a small bowl of star san and just grab them out and onto the bottles as needed. Fil 6 or so bottles, place caps on them, repeat. I boiled them my first couple bathes and the oxygen barriers on some would come loose from the cap.

NO need to boil just starsan. I used to put mine in a small bowl of star san and just grab them out and onto the bottles as needed. Fil 6 or so bottles, place caps on them, repeat. I boiled them my first couple bathes and the oxygen barriers on some would come loose from the cap.

+1 to this
it is easy to catch a bowl of sanitizer while you are cleaning everything else.

is starsan the best sanitizer? I've been using bleach, but rinsing everything takes forever, and just letting everything sit takes so much time. Is starsan a no-rinse sanitizer? Does it effect the brew at all, and how long do things need to soak in it? Looks like I need to place another order.

Star San is the best. It is a no rinse sanitizer and you don't need to soak items just get them wet for 30 seconds. Lots of us use a spray bottle to sanitize items. For buckets and carboys put a gallon or so of mixed Star San and give it a shake to get all surfaces wet.

Although you can mix it with tap water, if you use distilled water it will last for months. I buy a couple gallons of distilled and mix it right in the jug.

Star San is the best. It is a no rinse sanitizer and you don't need to soak items just get them wet for 30 seconds. Lots of us use a spray bottle to sanitize items. For buckets and carboys put a gallon or so of mixed Star San and give it a shake to get all surfaces wet.

Although you can mix it with tap water, if you use distilled water it will last for months. I buy a couple gallons of distilled and mix it right in the jug.

+∞, Mix 6ml in a gallon of distilled. Use a syringe like you give medicine to kids with.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was soaking in diluted bleach for a whole hour. Then rinsing is a pain in the butt. Goin to place my order right now. Thanks again.

Back