caps that will rotate after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I bottled a batch tonight for the first time since I upgraded to a bench capper.. After capping, I noticed a few (particularly the 22oz bombers) of the bottle caps would rotate on the bottle after capping. Keep in mind the caps were soaked in Star San, and were wet when the caps would rotate, but should that concern me? I'll check again after a few hours and the star san dries out, but it seems weird..

I noticed this cap rotation when I was wiping the bottles down with a rag to clean them up after bottling. With the rag I can generate quite a bit of torque on the cap, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

I tried hitting some of the bottles again with my red baron wing capper, but still some would rotate, whereas others were very "fixed" in place.

Anyone else experience this at bottling? Don't worry? Its got me kinda worried about the bottle cap seal.

If a cap is rotating, the seal isn't compressed enough. I doubt they would carbonate that way.

Yea +1 on recapping as well.. Just to be safe, waste a little time and very little money but dont ever waste beer!

I took everyones advice, soaked some new caps and recapped the ones that had rotation issues. Some would still rotate. So, I capped again. And again.

Suspecting the bottle, I threw out a few bottles that seemed to have this problem and poured the beer into different bottles and capped. Same thing.

Then I gave up on the handful of bottles I couldn't get to not rotate.

Perplexing thing is that this morning, the caps on the suspect bottles are tight as can be. I can't get them to budge today.

Maybe this is a bum lot of caps, I dunno. My LHBS sells a few lots of different colored caps, these are black, and kinda feel "cheap". I normally get the gold caps, so maybe these are cheapies.

I don't think I'll buy these caps again.. thanks for your input guys!

I take back my comment on the "cheap" caps. On closer inspection, the black & gold caps are exactly the same. They're even stamped with the same numbers on the inside..

Did a test this morning: Soaked some caps and capped some empty bottles. Same rotation thing, doesn't matter if I use the bench capper or the red baron.

My wife cant make the caps rotate, but I can. Maybe its just these gargantuan gorilla mits of mine..

Back