That time of year again... Spike Brewing Group Kettle Purchase!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine Wed, but I was so busy I didn't have time to unbox it till last night. I like it a lot. Word of warning: they arrive extremely dirty. Mine was covered in some kind of grease and black soot material. I'm guessing they came straight from the welder and into a box. My ports were so dirty I thought Ben had brass bulkheads welded in there. Only after a round of Barkeeper's Friend did I realize they were actually SS. So don't panic if you get yours, that ain't brass ;)

This isn't complaining though. I think the kettle is of good quality and an excellent deal.

I got mine Wed, but I was so busy I didn't have time to unbox it till last night. I like it a lot. Word of warning: they arrive extremely dirty. Mine was covered in some kind of grease and black soot material. I'm guessing they came straight from the welder and into a box. My ports were so dirty I thought Ben had brass bulkheads welded in there. Only after a round of Barkeeper's Friend did I realize they were actually SS. So don't panic if you get yours, that ain't brass ;)

This isn't complaining though. I think the kettle is of good quality and an excellent deal.

The kettle should not have been dirty. They :should: get a good wipe down before shipping; our apologies!

As for the "brass coupler" lol.... That's the second time in as many weeks we've heard that. Here's the train of thought: when stainless is welded at the right temperature it will turn the straw, bronze, brass color. It's our little way to brag that they have been welded correctly. Now many (most) people aren't welding experts so they have that same confusion. I also like the bluish hue that the welding gives.

Question is: Should we look into polishing the kettle after welding? It may add a few bucks is the only thing?

The kettle should not have been dirty. They :should: get a good wipe down before shipping; our apologies!
No worries dude. Even if it came out of the box sparkling, I would have given it a thorough cleaning before use.

Question is: Should we look into polishing the kettle after welding? It may add a few bucks is the only thing?
I suppose you could make it an add-on option, but I'd be happy with a slip of paper in the box letting you know what's up. Even just putting something about it in the description on the website so people have some idea of what's going on would be nice. I just went through the 7 stages of grief in about 10 minutes after I opened the box only to feel like a ******* after cleaning it.

I suppose you could make it an add-on option, but I'd be happy with a slip of paper in the box letting you know what's up. Even just putting something about it in the description on the website so people have some idea of what's going on would be nice. I just went through the 7 stages of grief in about 10 minutes after I opened the box only to feel like a ******* after cleaning it.

Ha ha! The other person that thought we welded a brass fitting on gave me an earful! But I explained how the stainless gets that straw hue and it was all good. I think the slip of paper is a good idea. Or even an instruction manual on cleaning, up keep, using Teflon tape, do/don't, etc. Great idea!

I got mine last night. :rockin: Brew day today..... can't decide on what to brew first. DIPA or Breakfast Stout. Heck I might just do both.

Thanks Ben, the Kettle looks/is BA.

Got mine today! Brewing tomorrow!!!

I got mine last night. :rockin: Brew day today..... can't decide on what to brew first. DIPA or Breakfast Stout. Heck I might just do both.

Thanks Ben, the Kettle looks/is BA.

Glad they made it in time for the weekend guys! Post up some pics of them in action!! :ban:

Mine came in on time as well. I did notice that the welded wasn't cleaned up but that didn't bother me. The only thing was the stickers on the side of the pots that I removed and had to scrub for a bit to remove the remaining adhesive.

They are a lot heavier than I expected, which would be a good thing, I was expecting them to be a little more thinner for the price but I was surprised. The fittings and valves fit fine, just have to do a little torquing down to get the valves in the position that I wanted. But now that someone mentioned scrubbing, I'll have to take mine apart to get them cleaned up first before using them.

I should be brewing here within the week so I'll get some pictures of them in action. Here they are as of yesterday ( lids not on but were included ):

614435_4179634885826_457208392_o.jpg

Did a smash brew yesterday with the new kettles. I realize now that I should've got horizontal couplings vs vertical. My strike water didn't even reach the top coupling so I couldn't use the thermometer but for heating sparge water it was high enough. The one issue I seem to have is that when I install the valves, they have a slight upward angle causing a somewhat slow discharge.

Heating up my strike water:

384230_4206173669279_893229017_n.jpg

Ben I love my brewing kettle thank you for a great product. I was at northern brewer in Milwaukee and they didnt know who you were you might want to reach out and see if you can hook up with them. Cheers

SpikeBrewing said:
Short answer; no. Going to pick up our test kettles tomorrow. The ground leads will also be in tomorrow. Testing should be completed within a week and they should be on the market by mid-week next (finally) :mug:

Any update on the electric kettles?

Ben I love my brewing kettle thank you for a great product. I was at northern brewer in Milwaukee and they didnt know who you were you might want to reach out and see if you can hook up with them. Cheers

Interesting. I'll have to stop in, thanks!

Any update on the electric kettles?

It's on the back burner until we get the liability issues figured out.

Back