Strong Bitter Bass & Co, Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
Humongo from my last Stout
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days at 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Keg conditioned for as long as I can hold out...
I know the Cascade is a little out of place here, but dammit, I love Cascade hops. I'll offset the citrus of the cascade with the addition of 1lb of honey malt and mash at 156-157 to get a maltier profile.

With a gravity of 55 and an IBU of 32.4, I'm staying right in line with the gravity/hops ratio.

Bass_Ale_Hops_Ratio.jpg
Bass Pale Ale, Bass Clone, Bass Pale Ale Recipe,

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.59 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Bass_Ale_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 32.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

INGREDIENTS:
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
5.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1.5 Oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)

2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min)

Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

[EDIT] – Tasting Notes: I was extremely pleased with the way this turned out. A very smooth beer with good creamy head and nice malt flavor. I did a side by side with the bottled version and I can say mine had a much smoother taste and mouthfeel. I think the bottlers tend to over carbonate their beer for an American audience. I had a friend over who has very…shall we say…sensitive taste buds (adds water to his decaf coffee) and he absolutely loved the taste. He described it as very flavorful, but very easy to drink.

This turned out at about 5.4%, a little higher than I wanted, but that is what gives the beer it’s fuller malt taste.

Very good…very smooth…and well balanced hop bitterness. I varied from the original recipe just a bit by adding late addition cascade and I think that gave it a nice “refreshing” feel.

If you’re looking for a brown ale that is smooth, malty and refreshing at the same time, I highly recommend it.

I've never had a Bass Ale but...what the hey...I gotta brew something this weekend. Here's the grain bill, ready for the soak.

BassAleGrains.JPG

BM, should I just cut the grain bill in half if I wanted to do a 5-5.5gal batch? Im very interested in trying this one

I just picked up the ingredients to make 6 gallons of this one but subbed 3 oz. of EKG at 7.2%. I'll let you know how it does....

I'm doing this recipe on Sunday. I've never used the flaked corn before. Is there any benefit to running the corn through my mill along with the grain or should I just put it in the mash as-is?

I'm doing this recipe on Sunday. I've never used the flaked corn before. Is there any benefit to running the corn through my mill along with the grain or should I just put it in the mash as-is?

Flaked corn looks like yellow oatmeal. No need to do anything but add it to the grist. :mug:

I just picked up the ingredients to make 6 gallons of this one but subbed 3 oz. of EKG at 7.2%. I'll let you know how it does....

Better late than never - this came out really good and is now gone. Gues I'll have to make more :D

I really screwed this one up today. I used 1.5 lbs of the roasted barley instead of 1.5 oz. Yep, it was dark! We'll see how this comes out in a few weeks. :(

BTW, this screwed up batch actually came out pretty good. I call it Dark Brit! It took a few months for the strong roastiness to mellow out, but it is very good right now.

I'll be doing this again, but this time I'll type up the recipe correctly!

I'll let you know, I am about to try this in a few weeks with marris and WLP004 or 005. I have 004 havested from the G stout left, but would that be a large different tast from the British ale yeast 005 ? Bass is my all time favourite beer and thank you for this recipe, use to sit in a local pub here with my brother Bill and Uncle Bob packing those away when Bob was still with us.

forcabrew said:
is there an easy extract conversion for this? i have a mac so no beersmith for me...:(

I'd also be interested to know if there is an extract conversion!

I'm thinking about brewing a batch of this this weekend, but LHBS is out of northern brewer. Do you think columbus would be a good sub for this?

I'll let you know, I am about to try this in a few weeks with marris and WLP004 or 005. I have 004 havested from the G stout left, but would that be a large different tast from the British ale yeast 005 ? Bass is my all time favourite beer and thank you for this recipe, use to sit in a local pub here with my brother Bill and Uncle Bob packing those away when Bob was still with us.

OK I have brewed 2 batches of 5 gal with the Marris Otter and tapped the first one today. It was spot on, alittle more bitter than Bass, but Awesome recipe and thank you for it. Cheers:tank::mug:

Brewed this up a month ago. First beer I fermented in my chamber. Kept it right at 68 degrees for a month. It's in the key now and just carbed. It's very tasty. A basic bitter. Easy to drink. My numbers were spot on. I'm anxious to try a side-by-side with the original to see which one I like. Thanks BierMuncher. I'll be looking through your other recipes too.

BM,
I've got full boil as I'm typing this. I subbed cascade for EKG but scaled your grain bill for 5 gal. I can't wait! Bass was my moment of clarity twenty years ago. If it's as good as it smells, your recipe will earn a permanent handle.

I just brewed this today. It was my first all grain brew and I hit my pre-boil SG right on the money but I boiled off a half gallon too much. I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I did substitute Magnum for the bittering hops and East Kent Goldings for the aroma. Thanks for the recipe BM!

Hey guys I'm trying to convert this to a partial mash and having problems with the grain bill

Scaled for 5 gallon batch:

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.75 Oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)

I can only mash 4 lb of grain in my cooler (2 gal cooler)

If I steep the crystal malt and roasted barley that leaves 2 lb of flaked corn and 1.5 lb of 2 row. I'm going to sub light dme for the 2 row but what should I add for the flaked corn?

I finally got around to making 5 gal of this, although I messed up during the brewday with my hop additions. Instead of 1oz of Cascade @ 60, I inadvertently put in 1oz NB. Realized the mistake and then split the Cascade additions into 0.25oz @ 45, 30 and 15min.
Also ended up with closer to 6 gal (expected 5.5) but still got OG of 1.055.

Decided to try one last night after bottled/conditioning for close to 3 weeks and...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

This is delicious! I have found the BlackBird Haus Ale.
STRONLY recommend this to anyone that has not ever tried it.

Thinking about making this. Would like to remove the honey and use a more traditional English hops. Would like to expand my horizons and use something other than EKG or fuggles. Any suggestions?

Thinking about making this. Would like to remove the honey and use a more traditional English hops. Would like to expand my horizons and use something other than EKG or fuggles. Any suggestions?

To keep it still in the ballpark, you could try some Challenger, Willamette, or Progress.

I made 10 gallons of this recipe over a month ago and have been drinking it for the past week and a half....Great stuff.

I will be sure to add this to my permanent rotation.

And bottled my batch of this last night - nice and clear, taste precarb was a lot like bass! Look forward to trying in a couple of weeks...

So, I've got this going in the ferm chamber right now. I decided to use some harvested Bell's yeast from a six pack of brown ale. How much of the Bass essence will I lose due to the clean profile of this yeast? Should be a yummy experiment at any rate.

Back