Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I like it, and based on the thread responses I will, I will certainly be going with an AG recipe next time.... I ended up doing a 10g batch last night... ended up with a 1.051 OG.

The only thing I am trying to do with this batch is that I split it and will be using the 1272 Ale yeast and for the other 5 Gallons I will be fermenting with US-05 to see the differences...

Just brewed a version of this yesterday. Took a few liberties with ingredients though.

Instead of regular tap water, I took 6 gallons of water from a lake about 100 miles north of Ottowa (deemed clean drinking water). It's a place I've been camping every year since I was 5 and this year I decided to make a little something out of it (beer, in case you couldn't guess).

Anyways, ingredients:
WYeast 1272, American Ale II
6.6lbs Muntons LME
4oz CaraPils
4oz Crystal
6oz CaraAmber
2oz Chocolate
1oz Goldings Hops
1oz Willamette Hops
1 tsp Irish Moss

I dont know the water profile. I'm not quite up to that level yet though I'd love to learn how...

So, I heated 3gal of water for the wort to 170F and steeped all the grains for 30 minutes. While I did that, I boiled the other two gallons just to make sure any bacteria or nasties in the lake were killed, even though it is considered drinking quality water (the water came directly from the lake through a faucet-pump). When they were boiled for about 15 mins, i emptied them into the primary in an ice bath to cool them down in preparation for the wort to go in (stupid homemade immersion chiller was leaking).
Anyways, after 30 minutes of steeping the grains, I brought the wort to a boil and stirred in the LME and Goldings Hops (had 4 hot breaks, 1 literally the moment the hops touched the water). At the 40min mark, I added the teaspoon of Irish Moss and lastly at 57mins, I threw in the Willamette Hops (with one more hot break to top it off).

I dumped the wort into the primary already in the icebath. However, at this time, i was very low in volume since i boiled the other two gallons previously. Thinking too fast, I dumped in the final gallon of water that had not been sterilized to bring the volume up. At first, I did not think anything of this, but afterwards, I realized that this water did come from a lake in the wild... I honestly think it will be ok since it was poured immediately on just-boiling water, is deemed drinkable, and if something is to be in there, it won't kill me to drink it.

To cool it off, I aerated it a bit and it rapidly cooled to 74.5. OG was 1.045 before pitching the yeast. Let's hope everything goes ok with this one!

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me, or any concerns for that matter about the unsterilized lake water? It's day one and already the primary is absolutely FREAKING out which tells me that the yeasties are definitely hard at work...

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me, or any concerns for that matter about the unsterilized lake water? It's day one and already the primary is absolutely FREAKING out which tells me that the yeasties are definitely hard at work...

If its raging already I'm guessing the yeast have taken over and doing its thing. Probably not an issue.

A buddy of mine and I are going to brew two separate batches of this towards the end of the month as a pseudo-challenge. We used to do batches together, now we're doing them on our own. Essentially for this, we'll have to substitute a few things, primarily the LME. My LHBS has 4 different LME versions: Amber, Dark, Light and Wheat. I'm planning on using the amber for this.

I was wondering how the chocolate malt affects the beer in this recipe. I know it's about 2 oz, but perhaps someone could enlighten me? I'm also considering subbing WLP004 (Irish Ale Yeast) and I'm wondering how that'll change the taste as opposed to using WLP051 California V (subbed for Wyeast 1272 - LHBS doesn't carry wyeast). I'd appreciate it!

So the primary was going absolutely nutso for the first few days (sun-wed). Yesterday, I didnt see anything going on nor today. Today I checked the SG and it came out exactly the same as the target SG: 1.012. Is this an issue? Im going out of town tonight and will be back on sunday to check it again. If it doesn't move from 1.012 I am going to rack to the secondary where, I assume, the SG will drop even more.

I'm not really concerned about this at all, but I'm wondering what this means for the final product. Any thoughts?

So the primary was going absolutely nutso for the first few days (sun-wed). Yesterday, I didnt see anything going on nor today. Today I checked the SG and it came out exactly the same as the target SG: 1.012. Is this an issue? Im going out of town tonight and will be back on sunday to check it again. If it doesn't move from 1.012 I am going to rack to the secondary where, I assume, the SG will drop even more.

I'm not really concerned about this at all, but I'm wondering what this means for the final product. Any thoughts?

You should be fine. If you're hitting the target SG, then you're on track. Also, keep in mind that more time in the fermenter can't hurt.

I just brewed this this past weekend.m It Fermented HARD for about 2 to 3 days. Ive had it in the primary for a weeks now but think I am going to leave it there for a little bit longer. It smells great!

A buddy of mine and I are going to brew two separate batches of this towards the end of the month as a pseudo-challenge. We used to do batches together, now we're doing them on our own. Essentially for this, we'll have to substitute a few things, primarily the LME. My LHBS has 4 different LME versions: Amber, Dark, Light and Wheat. I'm planning on using the amber for this.

I was wondering how the chocolate malt affects the beer in this recipe. I know it's about 2 oz, but perhaps someone could enlighten me? I'm also considering subbing WLP004 (Irish Ale Yeast) and I'm wondering how that'll change the taste as opposed to using WLP051 California V (subbed for Wyeast 1272 - LHBS doesn't carry wyeast). I'd appreciate it!

The chocolate malt will add color and a slightly roasted taste. The biscuit does add a nice bit of color too, with a toasty finish.

Any UK ale yeast would be ok in my opinion. Look for one that has a temp range that works for your fermenting climate. BTW - Any standard American ale who be ok too.

The chocolate malt will add color and a slightly roasted taste. The biscuit does add a nice bit of color too, with a toasty finish.

Any UK ale yeast would be ok in my opinion. Look for one that has a temp range that works for your fermenting climate. BTW - Any standard American ale who be ok too.

Thanks! I have to be on top of my game from time to time as my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast (unless special ordered). Like I said, my buddy and I are engaging in some healthy competition using the same ingredients - though I'm wondering how the Irish yeast might change the complexity of the beer as opposed to an American Ale yeast. My guess would be not too much as there are a bunch of other competing flavors going on in this batch.

Fermentation temps aren't a concern as we've both got dedicated chambers.

Additionally, I forgot to mention that we'd be doing full-boils for this - I'm expecting that we'd have to back off the hop additions by about a 1/4th oz, right?

I appreciate your help and I'm definitely looking forward to this!

Thanks! I have to be on top of my game from time to time as my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast (unless special ordered). Like I said, my buddy and I are engaging in some healthy competition using the same ingredients - though I'm wondering how the Irish yeast might change the complexity of the beer as opposed to an American Ale yeast. My guess would be not too much as there are a bunch of other competing flavors going on in this batch.

Fermentation temps aren't a concern as we've both got dedicated chambers.

Additionally, I forgot to mention that we'd be doing full-boils for this - I'm expecting that we'd have to back off the hop additions by about a 1/4th oz, right?

I appreciate your help and I'm definitely looking forward to this!

Use this recipe calculator; http://www.recipator.com use the spreadsheet link.

It will help you correct your recipe.

just to keep up to date, SG is still 1.012, Im going to rack to the secondary on sunday and will undoubtedly be trying some.

I am relatively new to this so i am worried that i may have oxidized the wort by stirring while it was in the icebath to "aerate" and help cool while it was still too warm. Let's hope for the best on that...

just to keep up to date, SG is still 1.012, Im going to rack to the secondary on sunday and will undoubtedly be trying some.

I am relatively new to this so i am worried that i may have oxidized the wort by stirring while it was in the icebath to "aerate" and help cool while it was still too warm. Let's hope for the best on that...

RDWAHAHB.

Oxygen is good for your beer before/during/just after you pitch your yeast. You'll be fine.

From Palmers book, How to Brew. This is what got me worried a bit. Not too much, but just enough...

"You should not aerate when the wort is hot, or even warm. Aeration of hot wort will cause the oxygen to chemically bind to various wort compounds. Over time, these compounds will break down, freeing atomic oxygen back into the beer where it can oxidize the alcohols and hop compounds producing off-flavors and aromas like wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors. The generally accepted temperature cutoff for preventing hot wort oxidation is 80°F.

Oxidation of your wort can happen in several ways. The first is by splashing or aerating the wort while it is hot. Other beginning-brewing books advocate pouring the hot wort after the boil into cold water in the fermenter to cool it and add oxygen for the yeast. Unfortunately the wort may still be hot enough to oxidize when it picks up oxygen from the splashing. Pouring it down the side of the bucket to minimize splashing doesn't really help either since this increases the surface area of the wort exposed to the air. Thus it is important to cool the wort rapidly to below 80°F to prevent oxidation, and then aerate it to provide the dissolved oxygen that the yeast need. Cooling rapidly between 90 and 140°F is important because this temperature region is ideal for bacterial growth to establish itself in the wort."

Well, I can understand your concern, but if all you did was stir during the cooldown phase, you're fine. I've made over 25 batches doing the same thing - stirring while using an immersion chiller - and I've had no problems or evidence of a botched beer due to oxidation. IMO, you really should worry about oxygen getting into your beer during and after fermentation has set in. But even a little splish splash (like when you move your carboy to get into a position to bottle/keg) won't harm your beer.

In fact, Jamil's recirculation/whirlpool/immersion chiller design kinda goes against Palmer's philosophy, in a sense.

SG 1.012 still (as of yesterday). Im definitely racking on sunday; it looks like a freakin' firetruck it's so red!

Just wanted to pop back in on this recipe, I brewed this in January and was pretty slow getting it into the keg from primary. Well, the keg is about empty now but it is better than ever. I highly recommend this recipe as many of my friends have tried my version of this and I have NEVER heard a negative comment about it.

Thanks Schlenkerla for a fabulous recipe!

just racked to secondary. SG was still 1.012. One thing I did very differently, i realize, is i used light lme as opposed to gold american; we'll see how that changes the final product.

Had to have a sample of course. It is very light bodied at this point, a very deep brownish red, but has an excellent taste to it. I'll post pics in a couple weeks when i bottle.

Just wanted to pop back in on this recipe, I brewed this in January andy was pretty slow getting it into the keg from primary. Well, the keg is about emputy now but it is better than ever. I highly recommend this recipe as many of my friends have tried my version of this and I have NEVER heard a negative comment about it.

Thanks Schlenkerla for a fabulous recipe!

You are more than welcome!

I need to make this again. I really like this beer. Its a good beginners beer too. It has some good taste complexity but its not difficult to make.

Cheers!

Alrighty, I placed my order at my LHBS for this recipe. The only subs I had to make were Light Chocolate malt, Fuggles for Goldings, and WLP051 for Wyeast.

I'll be brewin' this up on Saturday. Can't wait!

I did two batchs about 4 weeks ago. I did an American Ale and this red. I am JUST NOW putting this into the secondary. I hope its not going to mess anything up. Im going to leave it in the secondary for a few weeks too. I should be okay right?

I did two batchs about 4 weeks ago. I did an American Ale and this red. I am JUST NOW putting this into the secondary. I hope its not going to mess anything up. Im going to leave it in the secondary for a few weeks too. I should be okay right?

We were overwhelmed when we made this and probably left it for about 7 weeks on primary and it came out amazing. Personally, I would say that you shouldn't feel like you need to do a secondary and could bottle it now if you wanted...

Need more bottles or gotta get my kegerator together! It is eating at me so bad!!!! I've been wanting to do this recipe for a LONG time and finally did now I dont have the bottles or my keg stuff together to do it!

Just dry hopped today with 1oz Willamette. That should add a nice aroma to it...

Also, when i put it in front of the window when dry hopping, it is seriously fire engine red. the color on this badboy is amazing!

I'm stoked to try out this recipe! Would love to do a full boil, though. Is this possible? Let me know what may need to be tweaked.

Regarding the recipe, I'm worried my local brew shop doesn't have everything I need (will drop by tomorrow), so I've been looking at NB for extras to get shipped my week's end. I only see Briess DME, and I'm not seeing the four malt variations you mention. Can you point me in the right direction?

The recipe and reviews sound fantastic. Can't wait to get this fall brew going this weekend. :mug:

I'm stoked to try out this recipe! Would love to do a full boil, though. Is this possible? Let me know what may need to be tweaked.

Regarding the recipe, I'm worried my local brew shop doesn't have everything I need (will drop by tomorrow), so I've been looking at NB for extras to get shipped my week's end. I only see Briess DME, and I'm not seeing the four malt variations you mention. Can you point me in the right direction?

The recipe and reviews sound fantastic. Can't wait to get this fall brew going this weekend. :mug:

Earlier in this thread Sherlenka linked the Beer Reciprator - that'll help you hit your target IBU's/color/ABV/etc. I did a full-boil of this last night and I still ended up using the same amount of hops - 5% and 3.2% respective AAUs aren't enough to turn me away.

Regarding the other malts, your LHBS should have at least most of them - look under grains if they have a website.

I ended up with an OG of 1.053 - will most likely combat the extra IBUs. Can't wait!

I racked this in my secondary and it does have a great red tint to it. Im going to put it in a keg soon and let it condition there. That will give me time to build my kegarator and get all my stuff together piece by piece!

Earlier in this thread Sherlenka linked the Beer Reciprator - that'll help you hit your target IBU's/color/ABV/etc. I did a full-boil of this last night and I still ended up using the same amount of hops - 5% and 3.2% respective AAUs aren't enough to turn me away.

Regarding the other malts, your LHBS should have at least most of them - look under grains if they have a website.

I ended up with an OG of 1.053 - will most likely combat the extra IBUs. Can't wait!

Here is the calculator link: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

Just tweak the 60 minute hop addition to hit 20-22 IBUs.

Caramel Pils Malt is the one that befuddles most people. Its basically a 5 SRM crystal malt. (Subsitute 50% 10L Crystal & 50% Carapils: so use about 1/4# of each to make 1/2# of Caramel Pils)

I ordered my corny keg this past thursday. I am piecing together my Keg equipment week by week till I get everything together. I wil be conditioning in my keg and racking it there next weekend after I sanatize my new keg. Has anybody tried this recipe AG yet? If so what is the differences you have had? I am really toying with the idea to go AG soon. But Keging os first on my brewing priority list (I am tird of botteling!). I also have another great recipe that is very simple but is very chocolatty if anybody is interested. It was my last brew before this one and I had great reviews from my favorite critics (buddies)!!!!

BOTTLED! Oh man, at first I thought it was more of an amber but after looking at your pic schlenkerla, it has the exact color qualities. And taste, though green, IS FREAKIN AMAZING.

0905001942.jpg

edit* this is the very last bit that i got out of bottling so thats why the beer is so cloudy. Im sure it is going to clear up bigtime

So I tried a bottle yesterday after 3 weeks of conditioning. Still a very green beer and not the best head retention, however once the taste smoothes out a bit, this is going to be fantastic. Has anyone bottled this beer, and if so, how long did you let it condition for until it was just right?

I made this early this year and, if I remember correctly, started drinking under three weeks and it had a good head on it and tasted great. It was very smooth. So hopefully yours will be good within the next couple of weeks.

So as I got ready to keg my brew, I noticed a small infection. I still racked in my keg but stopped under the infection. Havent had time to mess with myy fridge yet but I hope everything wil be okay!!!!

So any idea if anyone else has had an infection and it turn out nice or at least decent?

I don't have an infection and I'm still waiting on my kegged QIR to fully carbonate, but you did the right thing in not dumping it. It'll probably just need some aging. Give it time and it'll be okay.

Its in the keg and I tried to force carb it (Just got my first keg) but its still kinda flat. taste fair I guess but I think that was totally in the water. Im trying again here pretty soon for another batch.

Back