Slightly overshot my estimate OG...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Well, I slightly overshot my estimated Original Gravity. The silly free online converter said my brew will have a OG of 1.053....well....it came in at 1.1!!!!!!!! If my estimate is correct, my beer will come in at around 11% abv!!!! :shocked:

I hadn't planed on it, but looks like this will be Passow's Imperial Pumpkin Ale!!!! Pleasent surprises are always the best...

could you post the recipe.... looking to do an interesting imperial something before my short SC winter is over... pumpkin might fill the intersting bill.

could you post the recipe.... looking to do an interesting imperial something before my short SC winter is over... pumpkin might fill the intersting bill.

No problem, I'll post it when I get home in a few hours! If the taste of the hydromitor reading sample is any indication...this is going to be one tasty brew!

Sounds strange. What calc did you use. They formulas to come up with Gravity Estimates are very simple and almost impossible to mess up like that.

Maybe your wort wasn't fully stirred? My first batch came out at 1.12 when it was supposed to be 1.05.

Sounds strange. What calc did you use. They formulas to come up with Gravity Estimates are very simple and almost impossible to mess up like that.

Maybe your wort wasn't fully stirred? My first batch came out at 1.12 when it was supposed to be 1.05.
I used Tasty Brew's calculator. They didn't have an option for the pumpkin...but I'm pritty sure the pumpkin wouldn't add too much to the OG.

The wort was definitly well stirred, I made a point of that. ;)

Here you go!

Passow’s Imperial Pumpkin Beer
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains and pumpkin)
OG = 1.1 FG = 1.013(?) ABV = 11% (?)

Ingredients
4 lbs. (0.57 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract
0.5lbs Caramel 60/Crystal 60
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) CaraPils malt
6 lbs. (2.3–2.7 kg) pumpkin (cubed)
1oz Cascade hops (60 mins)
1 tlbs of FRESHLY MADE pumpkin pie spice
4lbs of Belgium Amber Candi Sugar
Dried ale yeast
0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Slice in halp and deseed pumpkin, lightly coat the pumpkin with oil (I used expensive high grade Almond oil). Cook pumpkin in the oven at 350F until brown. Place in pot and smash/mash skins and all after it’s cooked. Boil in water for 60 minutes at 160F then cool. Heat separate pot of water to 150 °F. Place crushed grains in steeping bag and steep grains at 150-155 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Remove grains, add dry malt extract and hops. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at the start of the boil. Start adding a pound at a time of the Belgium Candi at the 25 minute mark. Add the spices with 10 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter (pour the wort and pumpkin water through your spent grains). Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with water. Aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment at 65-69 °F.

Without taking the Pumpkin into account I get ~1.070 OG. As a standard I get .030 for the 6 lbs of pumpkin. So I would put your OG at ~ 1.10 so 1.11 is totally within reason.

What kind of yeast did you use? I'd be concerned that this ale will finish up at about 7% ABV due to alcohol toxicity of the yeast, leaving you with a sweet unfinished beer. Some ale yeast strains will ferment up to 10% or so, though.

What kind of yeast did you use? I'd be concerned that this ale will finish up at about 7% ABV due to alcohol toxicity of the yeast, leaving you with a sweet unfinished beer. Some ale yeast strains will ferment up to 10% or so, though.

True but easy to fix with another pitch of a more appropriate yeast.

I've been wondering this myself. I used Munton's Gold dried yeast. Should I rush out to get some liquid yeast starter from Leeners? Or should I wait and see if the alcohol kills off the yeast and take a gravity reading then worry about getting new yeast?

What type do you suggest I purchase?

I personally would not wait to pitch additional yeast. Yeast have a hard time getting started in partially attenuated beer.

Well, just bottled this on Friday. HAHAHAH!!! I brewed a beer that isn't legal in Ohio!!!!!!! Our abv cap is 12%, my Imperial Pumpkin came out to be 12.1% (well, 12.052, but at that point you just round up).

FG was 1.008!!!!!!! I just tastes the sample I took for the hydrometer reading.........OMG this is AMAZING! Big alcohol taste up front then some malty/pumpkin sweetness mixed with a little spice!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!
beerpose1.jpg

beerpose2.jpg

It came out to be (if they all were placed in 12 ounce bottles) 55 bottles (but I did some large than 12 ounce bottles too).

Up next on the pipe line is a clone of Stone's Russian Imperial Stout and I'm aiming for 10% abv, then I'll probably do a Belgium Triple or Quadrupple (probably a St. Bernardous[sp?] 12 clone) and aim for 15% abv or I'll do a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout clone at 20% abv..........we'll see.

For the summer I'm working on a fruit beer recipe. I'm going to take the recipe for my first beer (Passow's Senatorial Brunnette), bump up the abv to 5% and make it a Blackberry beer!!!!

Back