Yeast and High Altitude Brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matrix4b

Reaction score
I Live in Denver. I was wondering if anybody out there has any idea if yeast produces better at higher altitudes than at lower ones. I use primarily D-47 yeast and I seem to be getting VERY potent Mead out of it and I checked my brewshop and found that it actually is a yeast that has a lower alcohol tolerance than the other options available. Yet, I seem to be breaking that on a regular basis. Now because I want a sweet desert mead I go high on the honey but that shouldn't account for what basically amounts to 2 12 oz bottles getting a big buzz off of and one bringing the pleasent warmness.

So here is my question: Am I using the wrong yeast? Or are the tolerances on the low end for brewing at a mile hi above sea level?

D-47 has a tolerance of about 14% ABV, which is somewhat higher than the average wine. 2-12oz bottles is 700ml or just a little shy of a wine bottle.
So you just downed a whole bottle of wine and wonder why your buzzed????
I may be a light weight (not to be confused with low mass) but 1 12oz bottle of mead is more than sufficient for me.

Also with proper nutrients and aeration D-47 can exceed the 14% by 1 or 2 percent.

I do not think that altitudes have a significant effect on yeast tolerance.

Craig

Hmm, I hadn't considered the volume of a wine bottle. I thought it was about 3 12 oz to one. Then again, I aeate well so I may be getting closer to the +1-2% you mention. It tastes very sweet and you can just feel it it very potent. So by what you are saying it sounds like I got 16% or so out of it. I have my current batches readings, once they are in the bottle I will need to take another hydormeter reading again. I just wondered if altatude had anything to do with it.

I brew at 7,000 feet and am just now working on my first mead with D-47. I'll let you know.

My two batches of Apfelwein have been normal ABV :drunk:

Back