Oxygen Barrier Bottle Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I saw some O2 absorbing caps when perusing the various supply sites. Are these at all worth it, or just a gimmick?

Call me crazy, but I'm planning to use them when I bottle a batch of wine in 22oz bottles.

I have a lot of empties, and a capper, but no wine bottles, corks, or corker.

I will also use them when I bottle the 9-9-9 and remnants of my Christmas beer using a BMBF since those will be pre-carbonated in the keg.

For normal bottle conditioned beer they don't seem necessary, the yeast will consume the O2 in the neck.

I have not even bottled my first batch yet, so I have no experience at all, but I am actually planning on purchasing some for bottling myself. I figured that the price difference is so negligible that, well, what could it hurt? I am sure I am simply falling for the marketing, but with a price difference of half a cent per bottle, I can live with that. It won't be the first or the last time.

Back