Windshield Repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

have a small dent in my windshield with a 2-3 inch crack coming off it.. anyone had to get a windshield repaired? How much can i expect to spend??

I had a rock bounce off the highway and chip my windsheild. I was well away from the truck but we have this odd sort of "law" that if it hits the street first the "offender" is not responsible.

Anyway, I took it to a windsheild repair shop and got the glass epoxy treatment. The chip is clearly visible and temp through the year here fluctuate from freezing to above 100*f (umm, seasonally) and I have yet to see any notable change in the repair or chip.

For mine the cost was $100.00 versus a $600.00 windsheild.

They've always just replaced mine for cracks. My insurance covered both replacements, so I'm not really sure how much it cost ... probably a nice premium increase.

I had a stone chip filled as well (thankfully before it started to spider). It cost about $65CAD if I recall correctly. I think it would have been ~100 if it had a crack with it.

My ins. company said that if it's small enough to cover with a dollar bill, they can usually pull it then do the epoxy treatment. If not, look forward to a new windshield and hope you have glass coverage.

Bobby_M said:
Well I wouldn't imagine you have a deductable less than $500 so you're gonna be out of pocket on this one.

Not necessarily. I'm sure my deductible was at least $500, and I paid nothing out of pocket.

our fleet cars cost between 160-300 to repair, depending on the make/model, i know we get a volume discount.

I have glass coverage with a deductable, but the insurance covers all epoxy repair costs. I just call them up and let them know. Then, they contact the repair company who calls me and sets an appointment for the repair.

TL

$50-100 US is what the repairs I've had done cost. The more expensive one, the guy drilled the end of the crack before applying the epoxy. My insurance covers all glass repairs, regardless. Replace & the deductible applies.

Did one myself, years ago. Held for over a decade.

Man I had a friend who had like 9 or 10 chips and he wanted to get a new windshield.

INS would pay for 8 chip fixes $50 a piece but would not pay for a new windshield at 300$.

He worked out a deal with the glass guy.

Bobby_M said:
You must be paying an additional premium for no deductible glass coverage then. They're not going to do something for nothing.

My insurance agent once told me that they'd rather pay for windshield repair than pay for replacement so they typically waive the deductible for non-vandalism/negligence windshield damage that can be repaired.

IANAL (or an insurance adjustor) so remember that the information above is worth what you paid for it.

Back