Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdaddy54

Reaction score
I recently bottled my first batch of Island Mist and noticed at the end the last two bottles have some sediment from carboy . Anybody have any suggestions as to what to use (cheesecloth or ???) to filter these two bottles. Thanks for any help.

Did you rack from the carboy to a bottling bucket? You have to be careful, but you can usually avoid a lot of the trub by doing that. Just mark those two bottles and don't give them away. This way you can carefully pour the beer in a glass and avoid a lot of the gunk.

Thanks. Yes bottled right from carboy, I will try your suggestions with bottling bucket next batch...

I checked both bottles and they are cloudy is it ok to consume those bottles like that or do something else ?

tdaddy54 said:
I checked both bottles and they are cloudy is it ok to consume those bottles like that or do something else ?
You'll be fine. My first batch that I made was the same way, cloudy and sediment on the bottom of the bottles. It won't hurt you, but if it makes you feel more comfortable pour into a glass and try to leave the sediment in the bottle. Also racking into a secondary will help drop suspended yeast or even cold crashing before bottling!

Well, at the very least I would certainly rack to a bottling bucket next time but you'll be okay.

Back