Growing hops in Mississippi.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think April, but these things are tough and hardy. Any time would be ok. Come by, get some, plant them and watch them grow. If they are given a good bed soon, they may even produce some cones this year. ---Mark F.--- Just noticed that you are a good ways down state from me, but if you or someone you know are up this way, give me a holler and pick some up.

Thanks man. That's really nice. Might have to make a trip up there one weekend soon

Still have cuttings and they need to be planted.

P6030013.jpg

New lesson learned. Do not use sisal twine for hop bines. Had three break in three days straight on heaviest bines, spent most of day today reworking them with heavier rope. Face is lightly sun burnt, but hops are back to happy. ---Mark F.---

P6040001.jpg

P6040006.jpg

P6040007.jpg

captainkirk83, if you get in contact with jrodskeet, he may be coming up this way next week. May work with him on getting some, maybe offsetting his cost on travel a little. ---Mark F.---

Just found this thread. I got a few rhizomes in the ground this year in Brandon.

For first year rhizomes and someone who has never tried gardening I think they are doing okay. I'll try to remember to snap some pictures next time I get a chance. My tallest is my Nugget plant which is about 4'. My Cascade is just a few inches shorter, and my Columbus has kind of stalled at between 2-3'.

I used a 50/50 mixture of composted manure and top soil.

Here is an old photo from probably around April when they first started putting out bines.

hops.jpg

Looks good eagle83. If you have a cotton gin close, my favorite compost is from a gin,[hulls and stems], everything I've used it on has done great, and the one near me is free to get. Just back up to it and shovel or mulch fork it in, pickup load at a time. ---Mark F.---

Hops today, thought first harvest of cascade would be ready today, but when I dropped them down they didn't feel quite there yet. They should feel papery, like a wasps nest. They felt moist still, like a head of crisp lettuce. Check again tomorrow. ---Mark F.---

P6110001.jpg

P6110002.jpg

P6110003.jpg

A very nice day today for first harvest of first hops. First three pictures are before, during, and after picking, with the during shot showing the bines lowered. 4th picture is bucket after picking, 3 pounds net, wet hops. Last picture is drying frames with box fan under, and old box fan shells between. ---Mark F.---

P6140005.jpg

P6140010.jpg

P6140011.jpg

P6140012.jpg

P6140013.jpg

Was going to harvest #2 cascade but nugget were more in need. #1 nugget had more mature cones then #2 nugget, but picked all that were ready on both plants. Picked 12.5 ounces today. 3 pounds of cascade picked a few days ago came out to be 9.5 ounces dried. Will pick #2 cascade after nuggets are dried. --- Mark F.---

P6180001.jpg

P6180004.jpg

P6180006.jpg

Last of first harvest. #2cascade picked today, 1 pound 12 ounces, though drier than first cascade, should yield about same dried. Nugget dried to 3.5 ounces. Middle picture shows fresh picked cascade next to dried nugget. ---Mark F.---

P6210010.jpg

P6210011.jpg

P6210012.jpg

Your hops look great! I planted some Cascade, Columbus, and Centennial mid spring. The centennial sprouted but the Cascade and Columbus did not. I even planted two more cascade rhizomes but they did not sprout. The Centennial are about 14 feet tall and have a few hops. I realize that I will not have enough to use but it is great to see some cones form. I do see a lot of bugs on the bines. They are .25 to .50 inches long and wedged shaped with tight wings. They will fly when touched. Have you seen these on your hops?

Hey tdbc2011, if you could post a picture it would help to identify them. Could be stink bugs, leaf hoppers or maybe even assassin bugs. White flies are the worst, because they are the start of an aphid infestation that can do real damage, but they will be much smaller than described. If you can get some organocide, this does a good gob on most anything I've had. ---Mark F.---

P6250018.jpg

Dried harvest of #2 cascade came to 8 ounces even for a total of 1 pound 1.5 ounces of cascade and 3.5 ounces of nugget. New burrs are on all four plants ready for a new round. Still have plants to go, if anyone is around this way. ---Mark F.---

P6250017.jpg

P6250015.jpg

P6250016.jpg

Well, I still don't know what you have there. Maybe one on a piece of paper to get better look at features. Are they sucking or chewing on the hop plants, or eating other bugs? ---Mark F.---

I do not see them on the leaves or hops only on the bines. So maybe they are eating other bugs. I do have a few lady bugs on the plants, but I did see the white flies for the first time today. Time to get some organocide.

Been awhile since I posted on hops. Have been busy and really not too much to show. Second round of cones coming along good and had to repot hop cuttings because they outgrew small pots and were getting root bound. ---Mark F.---

P7180021.jpg

P7180020.jpg

maf58d,
I only have one set of bines growing, centennial. I am letting all bines grow this year to establish a strong root base. I have a few that are wanting to run on the ground. Do you think they will root if I put some dirt on them a foot away from the original hill?

tdbc2011, Do your ground runners start off of the main bine above ground, or below ground from the crown. If it is a rooted runner from the crown, it is ready to snip and pot. If is from the bine above ground, I am pretty sure you can root it by covering a section with dirt. You could also put some rooting hormone on if you have some, and virtually assure it. ---Mark F.---

Finally picked some more cascade. Has rained hard every day this week , putting me off till late this evening, picking till it was too dark to see. Got most off first plant, but some still left on it. Will finish it and pick second plant when these pulled today are dried. Picture of plant shows just a small part of what is on there, most are hidden by the leaves. ---Mark F.---

P8090003.jpg

P8090005.jpg

Mark, that looks awesome! I am a new homebrewer that is looking into growing my own hops for next year. Any suggestions for someone starting from scratch?

Hey jmuff, good to hear from you. A lot of odds and ends are all through this post on tips I think help. Cascade are the best to grow, and taste great in many beers from APAs to wheats to lagers. Pick a spot that gets plenty of sun, drains well, is easy to tote water to, and give them something sturdy to climb. If you live close I can show you some of the things I use and do. ---Mark F.---

Second pickings from first cascade, dried to 6.25 ounces. Second pickings of second cascade, dried to 6 ounces making total cascade hops this year so far 1 pound, 13.75 ounces. ---Mark F.---

I don't think I am going to get any cones this year (first year). My Cascade which is doing the best of the three is around 15', and has a few side arms of 3-4". I have a feeling it is too little too late though.

I'm sure they will take off like crazy next year though.

Hey eagle83, are there any burrs on them, if there is, there is still enough time for them to mature. I picked the last of mine last year in mid October. ---Mark F.---

Nah, no burs. I read somewhere that in the south it is best for you to put the hops in a spot that gets some shade in the afternoon because of the heat, but I think I'm going to move it to a spot with more sunlight for next year if I can find one.

Mine are getting plenty of sun, 10 to 12 hours of direct, and the rest shaded or indirect. They are also in an area that my folks had multiple times had grown plums and peaches, so much of it had been dug up and amended through the years. I have noticed that the grass grows faster and thicker in the 100 square foot that my hops are at the center of, than any where else on the property. I think water is more important for our hops in dealing with heat than shade, they love sun, but need moisture to keep from getting burnt. Hope this helps some and good luck. ---Mark F.---

With all that I have going on, I have neglected my hop plants for a while. I can now say watering is very important during the dry spell we are having. Got back to taking the time to give them each about a gallon every couple days. Also took about an hour Friday evening to pick what was ready to pick, not to immature or totally browned out. Dried out to 1.5 ounces of Cascade, and 7/8 ounce of Nugget. ---Mark F.---

Took this picture a couple weeks ago before picking some more cascade.They dried out to 1.6 ounces. Picked nuggets earlier this week and they should be dry now, but have not weighed them yet, they should be between .25 and .5 ounce though. ---Mark F.---

P9250003.jpg

One last look at my hop plants this thanksgiving day. My folks house with its new white metal roof is showing in the background.
Second picture is cuttings from this spring that will be crowns next year.
---Mark F.---

PB280020.jpg

PB280021.jpg

Hey BadDeacon,
My take on hops is,
#1 , Full sun, The hops that will grow here need all the sun they can get.
#2 , Plenty of water, With full sun and hot summer days, a tall skinny plant needs plenty of moisture to keep it hydrated.
#3 , Nutrients, A half dose of miracle grow twice a week will keep them happy.
#4 , Soil , Before planting, amend with plenty of compost, and if your dirt is heavy,(clay), add a good amount of sand in the mix. Also should have decent drainage, not to saturated with water as to cause rot.
#5 , Hope you like Cascade, because that is the best for growing here. It is as compared to other hops as Hercules is to Other mortals.
Hope this helps in getting started, if you have any questions on any of this, I'll do my best to give you a good and prompt answer.
---Mark F.---

Thanks! I am still uncertain if I am gonna try this. But noticed rhizomes were not that expensive. Might give it a whirl though. I have a 1 acre lot with a hard clay pan, but plenty of sun.

Back