Wonderful aroma!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I have a loaf of spent grain bread baking in the oven, and the smell of my house is intoxicating! It smells sweet, and almost like cinnamon (which is strange, since there is no cinnamon in the bread. That's a new idea, though!). It reminds me of the smell in a local German bakery I go to! It's my first try with making this bread. I hope it tastes as good as it smells!

Cheers!

I have a friend who does this with some spent grains. Care to pass along the recipe? I'd like to show my wife there is a use for my brewing other than my beer :drunk:

I have a friend who does this with some spent grains. Care to pass along the recipe? I'd like to show my wife there is a use for my brewing other than my beer :drunk:

Since I threw the recipe together myself, I need to confirm that it came out good. Once I taste a sample of it I will indeed post the recipe if it's "post worthy"...

I made dog biscuits and pizza with spent grain this past weekend. The pizza was awesome, and the dog loves the biscuits!

I'm wondering if it's little more than some flour, maybe some butter? I could use more uses for the grain. Would help SWMBO accept the hobby more, especially since I'll be dropping a benjamin on grain while we pass by Milwaukee on our vacation.

If you search HBT there are a number of recipes for spent grain. There is even a dog bone recipe that I have seen.

This stuff turned out really good! It has a nice thick, hard crust, but it's super soft on the inside. The look and taste are very similar to whole wheat, even though there was no wheat in my grain. I buttered a few pieces up and ate it with some pork chops. Quite delicious! Here's the recipe;
============================================
Spent Grain Bread (Makes one full loaf or three small loafs)

1.5 cups spent grain (still wet from mash)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 T Olive Oil (or veg shortening)
1 tsp salt
1.5 T of honey (or sugar, use more if you like sweeter bread)
3 cups bread flour (you might not use all of this depending on moisture of dough)
1 pack bakers yeast (or old liquid beer yeast - about 30-50ml)
----------------------------------------------------------
1) Bring all ingredients to room temp (specifically yeast)
2) Heat water and honey to 160F and add spent grains. Steep for 30 mins to make a wort.
3) Strain grains and save aside and collect wort. Add yeast to wort to make a starter. Let starter sit at room temp for 20 mins.
4) Heat up milk slightly and combine with starter, olive oil, salt, and grain in a mixer. Stir well.
5) Add 2 cups of flour to mixture and combine well. Add table spoons of additional flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. At that point stop adding flour.
6) Knead dough with a dough hook for about 3 minutes (or by hand for about 8 minutes) untill smooth and NOT sticky.
7) Form a ball with the dough and lightly brush with butter or olive oil. Place in a bowl, cover, and allow to rise for one hour.
8) Punch down dough and knead again. Form loaf shape and put in buttered loaf pan, cover, and allow to rise for 20-40 minutes (allow to rise higher than the top of the loaf pan).
9) Score top of loaf with a knife (One long cut down center or 3 short cuts on an angle) and bake at 370F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
10) Cool on a baking rack.
11) Pour a beer and enjoy a slice or two!

IMG00708-20120710-1350.jpg

Back