Well !&@%!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fargo234

Reaction score
I'm thinking 12 years is about the limit for reuse on these things.

2012-07-06 21.04.07.jpg

This started to happen to me as well. It was actually the capper that went bad, although I hadn't been brewing for 12 years like you. I got a bench capper, and the problem stopped!

Stauffbier said:
This started to happen to me as well. It was actually the capper that went bad, although I hadn't been brewing for 12 years like you. I got a bench capper, and the problem stopped!

This. I broke so many bottles helping a friend bottle a couple of his batches with a wing capper. Granted, he was using twist- off bottles, but the point is that wing cappers put that kind of force on bottles. Bench cappers are so much nicer to use and don't have this problem.

True. But why move to a bench capper when the goal is to quit bottling? I am aware, not everyone shares my goals and aspirations.

onthekeg said:
True. But why move to a bench capper when the goal is to quit bottling? I am aware, not everyone shares my goals and aspirations.

Like you kind of implied, he never said that was his goal ;)

And honestly, it's always good to have a decent capper. Even most keggers tend to bottle some of their stuff, whether it's a few bottles from each batch, or entire batches of certain beers (eg Belgians). Even better is to get a combination capper/corker.

And honestly, it's always good to have a decent capper. Even most keggers tend to bottle some of their stuff, whether it's a few bottles from each batch, or entire batches of certain beers (eg Belgians). Even better is to get a combination capper/corker.

I still bottle "special" brews...Belgians and the sort, or if my kegs are full :D and even a good corker sucks....

I hear ya there. Never know when something is "competition ready" IMHO either.
I still use the old pot metal POS with my first brew kit in the 90's though. Won't be long and that will be broke though.

Who's goal is to quit bottling? If it's yours, then more power to you. Perhaps kegging isn't an option for everyone. The OP might want to continue bottling, so a helpful recommendation to try a bench capper might be more realistic than spitting out "just start kegging!".... :rolleyes:

DoubleAught said:
and even a good corker sucks....

meh. I hardly have a super-expensive floor corker, but my Super Collona capper/corker does both just fine. It's a bit more work if you're using all sorts of different-sized bottles, but otherwise it's a breeze.

quitter. Get some kegs, they cap easier.

Jesus christ, does someone ALWAYS have to mention kegging in a bottling thread?

The answer or comment in every bottling thread doesn't HAVE to be keg by some overzealous kegger.

I'm building a kegerator for christsakes and I STILL can't understand why some folks feel the need to interject kegging comments where bottling discussions are going on......It usually has NO bearing on the discussion at hand, and it's kinda rude....

We're pretty intelligent here, so I'M SURE we all might have heard of them, especially since this IS called the bottling/kegging section :rolleyes:, I'm sure it's in our awareness, so we aren't "helped" by someone mentioning it.....

Not everyone has the means to keg. Not everyone thinks kegging is the "natural next step in brewing evolution." And some folks who keg ALSO understand that some beers should be bottle conditioned, and will STILL bottle on occasion....

Yeah. You should definitely keg. It's so much cheaper. ;)

Really???

Bottles = free
Priming sugar = maybe a dollar
caps = about 50 cents.

Kegging = Ice chest $100
kegs = about $40 each
Beer lines = ?
regulator
co2 tank
replacement o rings
keg lube
taps
wood for the zeezer
etc etc etc.

I can bottle for decades before I will pay as much.

Can't wait until I can get into kegging! Fermentation chamber first though.

Who's goal is to quit bottling? If it's yours, then more power to you. Perhaps kegging isn't an option for everyone. The OP might want to continue bottling, so a helpful recommendation to try a bench capper might be more realistic than spitting out "just start kegging!".... :rolleyes:

Meh, everyone has dreams. If there were HD Kegs with 3D I would be telling everyone they are the best. Of course, I would be buying the cheap kegs no one wants. Its all perspective. Just settin a Tone..:D

kh54s10 said:
Really???

Bottles = free
caps = about 50 cents.

Kegging = Ice chest $100
kegs = about $40 each
Beer lines = ?
regulator
co2 tank
replacement o rings
keg lube
taps
wood for the zeezer
etc etc etc.

Pretty sure they were being sarcastic.

Really???

Bottles = free
caps = about 50 cents.

Kegging = Ice chest $100
kegs = about $40 each
Beer lines = ?
regulator
co2 tank
replacement o rings
keg lube
taps
wood for the zeezer
etc etc etc.

Was it me or did you correct yourself at the end? I am known to sip..

Really???

Bottles = free
caps = about 50 cents.

Kegging = Ice chest $100
kegs = about $40 each
Beer lines = ?
regulator
co2 tank
replacement o rings
keg lube
taps
wood for the zeezer
etc etc etc.

Yeah I have over a grand in my keezer build for everything you mention...An I STILL can't understand why folks have to comment about kegging in bottling threads. :rolleyes:

SledgeH said:
I'd still drink that beer. AND continue bottling.

Little glass bits are probably in the beer... it's really not worth risking.

LOL...The irony is I'm working on my keezer build. ;)

:off: I like your avatar. Cool crest.

:mug:

Haha! I'm hoping to build a keezer by fall, but I'll always bottle, as well!

Thanks on the avatar. So much made sense when I found out my family crest had a goblet on it! :tank:

Yeah, somebody who has been bottling for twelve years never thought about kegging. I'm sure that is now the OP's goal, since that cheap piece of crap bottle broke after a short twelve years.

Why is it that when keggers post about leaving taps open (lose the entire batch), or having a bad fitting (lose the entire batch), or various issues with length of lines (irritation at the least), that bottlers don't come running to smugly inform them that if they would only bottle, these issues wouldn't exist?

Of course, if they did that, it would be the same thing that you are doing - trolling. Kegging is awesome. Some of us happen to feel the same way about bottling, or can see the pros and cons of both.

Be a pal, will you? Stick to giving kegging advice in threads where such advice is sought. Otherwise, pipe down.

Haha! I'm hoping to build a keezer by fall, but I'll always bottle, as well!

The ONLY reason I did it was that now that I've returned to at least part - time church ministry, the month of May was very "lucrative" for me. I had a couple weddings and a couple speaking fees, so I had some extra cash, and I wanted to spend the extra cash towards something regarding brewing. but living in a condo, where I can't brew here, building some fancy brewing system was really out of the question, and my brewing process is pretty dialed in, so there's no real brewing gear I need....so I thought what the heck, even though I CLEARLY don't have an issue with bottling, I thought it would be neat to have beer on tap. NOT as an alternative because I cant handle bottling. But that it would be fun to have beers on tap....And I thought the actual challenge of building the damn thing would be fun....It hasn't been, but that's a separate story (nightmare build)

And I STILL can't figure out why a certain segment of our population has to "educate" folks about kegging.....

Thanks on the avatar. So much made sense when I found out my family crest had a goblet on it! :tank:

WOW I thought you made it up...That's really cool!!!

Y Stick to giving kegging advice in threads where such advice is sought.

THIS!!!!!

That's how I feel....give advice where it belongs. Now that I've been building my keezer I've actually contributed to some of the discussions on the topic... But I don't feel the need to "sell" one thing over the other. Or cross pollinate on topic over the other...

Of course I can't help showing off my build......so forgive me....:D

123f03d5.jpg

ca16bbf2.jpg

The "guts" I've been working on tonight.....And cold crashing the first beer I'm putting in a keg, AND you know, drinking some beer, in the bottle.

:drunk:
The ONLY reason I did it was that now that I've returned to at least part - time church ministry, the month of May was very "lucrative" for me. I had a couple weddings and a couple speaking fees, so I had some extra cash, and I wanted to spend the extra cash towards something regarding brewing. but living in a condo, where I can't brew here, building some fancy brewing system was really out of the question, and my brewing process is pretty dialed in, so there's no real brewing gear I need....so I thought what the heck, even though I CLEARLY don't have an issue with bottling, I thought it would be neat to have beer on tap. NOT as an alternative because I cant handle bottling. But that it would be fun to have beers on tap....And I thought the actual challenge of building the damn thing would be fun....It hasn't been, but that's a separate story (nightmare build)
My situation is similar. I think it would be fun to have a couple taps, but I like bottles. I, too, hope to find myself in a lucrative situation within the next month. I'm a wood flooring contractor, and I'm bidding on a humongous job. There's a good chance I'll get the job, since it's a prior client. If so I can justify the purchase. Good luck on your build! Hopefully it will go more smoothly!
And I STILL can't figure out why a certain segment of our population has to "educate" folks about kegging.....

WOW I thought you made it up...That's really cool!!!

Nope! It's real! I just come from a long lineage of German beer drinkers! :drunk:

Really???

Bottles = free
caps = about 50 cents.

Kegging = Ice chest $100
kegs = about $40 each
Beer lines = ?
regulator
co2 tank
replacement o rings
keg lube
taps
wood for the zeezer
etc etc etc.

Was it me or did you correct yourself at the end? I am known to sip..

NO, I did not correct myself. I don't know if the comment on kegging being cheaper was sarcasm or not.

I do think I could bottle cheaper than kegging for a very long time.

I would like to keg - not for the savings because I don't think there would be any - but for the convenience of it. I would be looking at at least a six tap keezer so unless I hit the Powerball it will be a long way in the future.

It never ceases to amaze how such innocuous topics go off the rails.

Keep it on topic and civil or the thread gets closed, and I'd hate to do that to the OP.

Well crapsnacks. I had no idea my busted bottle would have such a response. It's the third such I've had in all 12 years I've been bottling. The first two were of New Belgian Brewing origin. This fine sample was from the very first brewing kit my wife bought me from our LHBS for our first anniversary! She might have a tiny regret in that...

In either case, I've only got a couple of other things to say.

1. The Boston Beer Co. (Sam Adams) has the best bottles for reuse. I've got a cubic crap ton of them collected by eager friends. I've got a bottle for bottle program going on. You want more of my brews? Gimme my damn bottles back or replace them (Sam Adams, no labels please).

2. Kegging. I don't wanna. You can't take a six pack of kegs to a poker game (well, you shouldn't. Really.). You got yer buds over? It's easier to count bottles than glasses. It's already pretty tight in here, so adding a keezer would look odd in the living room. Cheaper? No it's not.

The keezer is in my future! But in the meantime I might just relax, maybe not worry...

Wing cappers are finicky when it comes to bottle shape. Some bottles cap great and others don't. That's why I like my bench capper so much. It will literally cap any brand of bottle I throw at it. New Belgium bottles seem to be one of the easiest to cap for me. 12 years is a pretty good run. Maybe it's time for a new wing capper or an upgrade to a bench capper. It might even be that you just run across a stressed bottle every now and then..

Wing cappers are finicky when it comes to bottle shape. Some bottles cap great and others don't. That's why I like my bench capper so much. It will literally cap any brand of bottle I throw at it. New Belgium bottles seem to be one of the easiest to cap for me. 12 years is a pretty good run. Maybe it's time for a new wing capper or an upgrade to a bench capper. It might even be that you just run across a stressed bottle every now and then..

If that same bottle had been capped again and again for twelve years, it's not ridiculous that it may have finally just had too much.

homebrewdad said:
If that same bottle had been capped again and again for twelve years, it's not ridiculous that it may have finally just had too much.

The phenomenon is known as creep in engineering. Constant use breaks down the material over time whether it's glass, steel, or wood.

Back