American Brown Ale Swamp Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apratsunrthd

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
31 days @ 67degF
Tasting Notes
45 BJCP score in American Ales 10C
I was shocked to win this one with such a huge score but here she is:

6 lbs Amber Dry Extract (Munton)
0.75 lbs Carafoam
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 oz Dark Brown Sugar

1.00 oz Williamette (4.7%)
1.00 oz Fuggles (4.3%)

1 packet Safale US-05

30m steep Carafoam and Chocolate Malt @ 155degF. 60m boil DME and brown sugar with Williamette Hops. 5m aroma boil Fuggles. Pitch 1 packet Safale US-05 with no rehydration (just sprinkled on wort). Leave in primary for 31 days. Bottle with 3/4c corn sugar for 2 weeks.

One important note: I tossed the extract in with the wort at 160degF still on the burner. I definitely got a touch of burned extract on the bottom that managed to mix in as the boil got vigorous. Perhaps it added enough 'character' to really push my beer over the edge. I won't be doing that again, but I may add some caramalized Amber DME to the wort the next time I brew this recipe.

Wow. A score of 45 and no one ever commented on this? Good job, by the way. Wish this was an active thread - I would have loved to have seen other people's experiences with this. US-05, no starter, extract....and a 45?

Wow. :mug:

Brewed up a batch yesterday. I just couldn't get this off my mind. Everything was right on par with your directions, but no early-addition DME or carmelized DME...already had the water up to about 200 when I added it...so mine will be on par with what the 'original' recipe had in mind. If it turns out as well as yours did, I might try your 'version' of it. I'll let you know!

Opened up my first Swamp Nut Brown Ale - enjoying it now. F'in delicious. Perfect balance of nutty and malty. Nice mouthfeel. It'd be a shame not to keep this in the pipeline. There is no question in my mind where your BJCP of 45 came from. Well deserved.

P1000300.jpg

I just brewed this up this morning. used S-04 vs. S-05 and swapped the hops by accident (fuggle as 60 min, willamette as 5 min)... just tossed it in the bucket so here goes nothing.

NineMilBill said:
Opened up my first Swamp Nut Brown Ale - enjoying it now. F'in delicious. Perfect balance of nutty and malty. Nice mouthfeel. It'd be a shame not to keep this in the pipeline. There is no question in my mind where your BJCP of 45 came from. Well deserved.

Looks awesome.

just took a gravity reading and of COURSE had to sample the beer. all I can say is WOW!!! if this is what it tastes green it's going to taste AMAZING after carbing up and aging a few weeks

FINALLY picked up the ingredients for this after months of procrastinating. This looks awesome.
Gonna go with S-04 though, like wormraper. Really looking forward to drinking one of these.

I just finished this as my second brew ever! Like NineMillbill I got an OG reading of 1.056 and not the 1.048 that is in the recipe. From what I read, that doesn't sound like too big of a deal...

It should be ready right around the end of October... and it sounds like the perfect November beer.

What kind of fermentation did you guys get with this recipe?? Its Thursday and I brewed this on Tuesday. After about 5 hours there was some slow bubbling in the 3 piece on top of the bucket, but that only lasted about 7 hours and since then its been very inactive. I pulled the 3 piece and peaked inside and could see that there was a healthy head of brown foam at the top and it smelled decent (like beer). I had just expected a longer and more viscous fermentation with the brown sugar and 6 lbs of Amber DME. The Fermentation temperature is about 69 to 70 on the outside of the bucket and i know that the wert was cool enough for the yeast, it was at 70 degrees when I pitched it.
Any comments on how yours went would be great to hear so i know if i should take some sort of action.
Thanks!!!!:mug:

Ok I did my take on this recipe with the items I had

6# Sparkling Amber from Briess

Steep @155 for 30 Mins per recipe
.75 Carapils
.75 Biscuit
.5 American Chocolate
1 oz Cane Sugar

1.5 oz Willamette @ 60
1 oz Fuggles @5

1 oz Fuggles @ flameout
.5 oz Willamette @ flameout

2 Liter starter of WLP 041 pitched at 65 degrees

Steeping Grains.jpg

Hydrometer.jpg

Update*

Very sad... I tasted this prior to bottling and it was soooooo good. I bottled it and now it taste like boiled rubber in the nose and in the mouth. I suspect using tap water to bottle the beer is the culprit :(

Update*

Very sad... I tasted this prior to bottling and it was soooooo good. I bottled it and now it taste like boiled rubber in the nose and in the mouth. I suspect using tap water to bottle the beer is the culprit :(

Ok after putting the beer in the fridge for a couple days the beer is losing the rubber taste and smell and is evolving a grape like flavor from the yeast... very interesting. I can tell the taste is not melded together yet and still has some funk (no cold crash) I think some time in the fridge will make this bomb

Edit: I noobed all over this beer

I have to concur with everyone here. I let this stuff ferment for 40 days, carb'd it up nice and slow and holy SHI*T it is good. I had three beers on tap and a party the other day and this beer was FAR and away the favorite! I have many requests to have this on tap all year!! It really is wonderful

I brewed some of this on 11/11/13. I followed the recipe, but I substituted one 3.3 lb. can of Briess Rye LME for three lbs. of amber DME. The smell of this while it was fermenting was incredibly good. I can't wait to try some. It'll be ready around Christmas time.

RW

two weeks in the fridge and its tasting really good, exactly what I want from a Nut Brown. I'm going to post a picture of the pint once I actually get my second case in the fridge

I want to tey this all grain. Can anyone convert.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I am no expert, but I reckon one would just substitute the 6 lbs of Amber LME with some 2 Row and/or Munich? Probably around 8lbs of grain, anyhow.

It's been a long time since I've brewed this one. Glad to see the post is still alive!

The Amber LME I used is made from 2 row and C60. If I had it to do over again, I'd substitute 1 pound of C60 and however much Rahr 2-row I needed to hit my OG target. Damoxemus is correct --for me, it would be about 6.5 lbs 2-row, 1 lb C60.

Thanks. Im a new brewer and am not set up for full boils yet so I wasn't sure if I was going to have to adjust the hops or anything. I have my first brew in the fermenter, with the all amarillo IPA up next when the fermenter is free, this one will be my third batch.

I brewed some of this on 11/11/13. I followed the recipe, but I substituted one 3.3 lb. can of Briess Rye LME for three lbs. of amber DME. The smell of this while it was fermenting was incredibly good. I can't wait to try some. It'll be ready around Christmas time.

RW

Yeah, so...

I brewed this on 11/11/13, and used the original recipe except for the sub of Briess Rye LME, and I used Nottingham that I had on hand for the yeast. Wow. I got an O.G. of 1.064! What the heck. It only got down to 1.020, and on 12/11 I decided to bottle it and keep it cool. I was thinking that there were probably other non-fermentables keeping the S.G. higher. Maybe a minor mistake, since I had one bottle burst, but I've chilled it off, and I don't see any bulging caps and things look stable. With such a high S.G. and almost black color, this stuff is more of a porter or stout. With the rye malt, it tastes almost like a dark pumpernickel. One taster commented, "Where's the pickle?"

This stuff tastes absolutely amazing, has an incredible head, and spicy finish. This is a great easy recipe to experiment with. I might try this again and try it with some caraway seeds. Anyone have any experience with caraway seeds in a brewing recipe?

Cheers,
RW

Back