Fruit Puree'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigGreen

Reaction score
hey guys, I been brewing a long time and had a new one happen to me this week. I brewed up 10 gals of Pale ale and split the batch into 2 fermenting buckets. Both were hit with Nottingham yeast and happily fermented for a week.
Then... I added Apricot and racked half on that and the other half onto raspberries, both Oregon Puree.

Well the Raspberry one took off fermenting. The Apricot? Nothing! The airlock is dead as a doornail.

That is mysterious.

Are they in buckets? Could be that the apricot one doesn't have a tight seal and the CO2 is escaping somewhere other than the airlock. You might just sneak a peak and see what's going on in there.

Leaving it be is often a good answer to these situations, too. It could just be a difference between apricot and raspberry puree (I don't know exactly, but ph, or sugar level or types, or who knows what).

The bucket is fine, I checked that. I use the cup type airlock and there's no pressure at all.
Just worried it'll go bad. Might throw some roselare yeast in it and leave for a year

How long since you racked onto the apricot?

How do you know the bucket seal is tight? It is not possible to tell that by sight.

take a gravity reading. has it changed? if not then you can worry and start asking questions. As Revvy once told me - " you are judging your frementation of your beer by a 99 cent piece of plastic???"

It made me chuckle, and its always something i've remembered. Use your hydromter as an indication of fermenting.

Ok, I checked the gravity, and it was 1.012. Unless the Apricot didnt add any gravity,it did ferment out and tastes fine. Like piss yellow boring American beer with fruit flavor. Im sure my party guests will love it.

The only thing I can think is either it went real fast or my bucket isnt sealing right. Good call on the grav check.

Im cold crashing outside, 32* kegging it tomorrow for service on sunday.

15 day turn around, woopie

Back