alcohol tolerance of WL830

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Im looking to make a stong Munich helles around 7.5% ABV and was wondering if the WL830 can handle that. The web site says the alcohol tolerance is medium, but that doesnt really tell me much. I looking to do a fairly large starter with this, but before I do that I want to make sure it will work for this recipe.

I brewed an Imperial Pilsner that finished at 9% ABV using WLP830. 1.080 down to 1.011. It was 3rd generation yeast pitched according to MrMalty. O2'd to 14ppm and used 8% corn sugar in the grain bill. Brewed on 6/20/10 and became really good after 4 months.

Notes on alcohol tolerance:
Very High: Over 15%
High: 10-15%
Medium-High: 8-12%
Medium: 5-10%
Low: 2-5%

So I should be go to go then. Im planning on letting this one lager for a good long while. Thanks for the information.

I pitched 600 mL of 8 day old harvested slurry from a regular Pilsner into 10 gallons of the aforementioned Imperial Pilsner.
~1 Trillion, 57 Billion cells. O2'd through a .5 micron stone at 3Lpm for 70 seconds which gave 14ppm. No starter used and pitched at 45F. A second shot of O2 12 hours after pitching would probably be beneficial but I had a business trip and don't trust the wife to do it.

Back