ASCO valves vs. furnace valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenbrau

Reaction score
I've noticed that a good majority of people are using the ASCO-type solenoids for gas control on their rigs. I've been looking into doing a 24V furnace valve with built-in pilot safety that seems like it'll be significantly cheaper and easier to set up. What are the advantages/disadvantages to using either one?

The furnace valves are cheaper and much safer to use for automated burners, furnace valve is about $60, pilot $15, thermocouple for gas valve $4, and the "STC 160 series " ASCO equivalent valves are about $50.

So from the sound of it, it's just a matter of preference and price. I can also see some not wishing to run the wiring for a separate transformer; being 24V almost turned me off to the idea, but the convenience of having the pilot safety built into the system without the need of an (sometimes expensive) auxillary override pretty much set me on it. I was just wondering why the ASCOs seemed more popular.

Lonnie Mac is the reason. He started the Brutus trend which uses ASCO valves. He only used 'em cuz they were cheap or free. I'm using ASCO cuz I got 'em on eBay for like $20-$30 each. I suggest going with the furnace valves cuz they're safer.

You can use one 24 VAC 75VA transformer for up to 3 valves if needed, for the cost and safety the standing pilot furnace valves are the way to go. Conversion of the hurricane/banjo burners is simple, drill out gas orifice in burner inlet adapter to 3/32" and you are good to go.

Back