measuring gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
when measuring OG i found my beers were coming out on the heavy side and was thinking my numbers were skewed due to all the garbage still in the wort. My last batch i took a sample and instead of measuring the gravity right away i let the sample sit for 15 minutes, lots of material settled out. I poured the top liquid portion into my vile and let it sit again before putting the hydrometer in it.

Is this correct practice for measuring OG or am i way off base?

when measuring OG i found my beers were coming out on the heavy side and was thinking my numbers were skewed due to all the garbage still in the wort. My last batch i took a sample and instead of measuring the gravity right away i let the sample sit for 15 minutes, lots of material settled out. I poured the top liquid portion into my vile and let it sit again before putting the hydrometer in it.

Is this correct practice for measuring OG or am i way off base?

My question is why do you have so much junk in your wort? The only time I've had actual bits sticking to my hydrometer is when pulling a sample out of a seconary that I was dry hopping. I'd say the technique sounds correct for the amount of junk in your sample, but how are you getting the wort off of the trub and into the primary after your doing boiling/cooling the wort?

Unless the junk is stuck to the hydrometer, it wont effect your readings but nothing wrong with being safe and thorough. SG is a measurement of density so it is only effected by what is dissolved in the liquid, not anything in suspension.

Back