My best Christmas Present! A keezer which needs some work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadDoc

Reaction score
Sooo... my parents bought me a killer Christmas preset! A KEEZER!!! Already built up but needs minor work to get it running. Mild rust inside, new lines are needed, clean shanks up, refinish the top, and a few other things. 18 CF. The tower is a 5 port tower with glycol adapters.

Came with 2 standard faucets, Guinness stout faucet, 2 sanke (European) couplers, few tap handles, regulator, A419 Temp Controller, and beer line cleaning setup.

Here are some pictures

front.jpg

top.JPG

top2.JPG

tower.JPG

towerconnections1.jpg

towerconnections2.jpg

tempcontroller.JPG

otherstuff.JPG

Picture of some of the other things that came with it.

inside.JPG

Minor rust as you can see

minordamage.JPG

Minor damage on the finish from glasses and or bottles

I am looking to add Perlick 525SS or the 575SS faucets on this and going all MFL connections as well.

At first I was ehhh no. I want to build my own and that's way out of my budget..... but then I found out that they were going to buy it.:rockin:

With having this I can now lager and produce more beer. I was stuck to 2 kegs at a time with my fridge. This will hopefully be fully operational in Mid December if all goes well. I will probably not use the glycol setup anytime soon unless I notice a huge issue with temp of the beer in the tower.

My biggest questions are how to best clean up the rust and which perlicks to go with... 525SS or 575SS?

Damn that thing has major potential!

I would suggest Perlick 425SS faucets. I have three of them, and they are great. I like that you can remove the spout for cleaning.

As far as the rust... this is just an opinion, and is not based on any experience.. you may want to try a coat of automotive rust killer, and then spray paint it with appliance paint.

Damn that thing has major potential!

I would suggest Perlick 425SS faucets. I have three of them, and they are great. I like that you can remove the spout for cleaning.

As far as the rust... this is just an opinion, and is not based on any experience.. you may want to try a coat of automotive rust killer, and then spray paint it with appliance paint.

Thanks! I was thinking CLR, grout/caulk cleaner, or maybe even oxyclean to clean up the inside but not sure what is the best option. I will definitely look into that one.

Reason for thinking the 5 series was for its newer tech with float O ring :p and for the 525 our brew club might do a bulk order for them and get the price down to $23 a piece. As for the 575 (Creamer version) not sure if its worth the cost for it.

I will in the near future (not sure how far) get a nitro rig setup on this for the stouts.

I'll second the 425SS....i had a 575SS and sent it back for a 425. The creamer is pretty much pointless IMO. All it does is force beer through a bunch of tiny holes, which sprays beer all over the glass. If you want a foamy head, just adjust your pour. It's definitely no replacement for a stout faucet, which is what i was hoping for.

The 425 feels more solid and the removable spout is nice. Just my limited experience opinion. I'm sure you'd have no problems with the newer models either.

Well merry X-mas, that has a lot of potential.
Once you got everything cleaned and painted I would recommend using some car wax to protect it also.
Have fun, re-building is almost as fun as building from scratch and just think of the possibilities!

That is sweet looking! 18CF and 5 taps with more room for carboys, sounds like you need to start brewing. I really like the smaller port to open just a portion of the top. The glycol chiller is a nice touch as well. I bet the temp in that tower sits a fair bit warmer than the keezer.

Enjoy. :mug:

Well... this is now fully hooked up but only 3 working taps as I am missing a gas QD for a ball lock keg and only 4 kegs at the moment. All MFL connections except from the reg.

Oo... I never did clean the inside... haha.

I find Eastwood overpriced not only this they buy a lot of made in China or out of the USA countries for their highest profits. (AKA a lot of low quality crap hot rodders buy). Check into POR 15, it's a damn good product that we've used aboard boats and trailers that see salt water full time. Once opened the life of the POR 15 will be a matter of weeks to months then it starts to thicken or set as moisture cures it. It will turn rust to a glass hard black finish sealing moisture out plus a great base for your finish paint. I've found that a opened can lasts over a year if you float a layer or Argon gas before sealing the lid.

I'd use those shank coolers with a little pond pump. Get a rubbermaid jug and fill it with water and recirculate the cool water through the copper line to chill the shanks.

Very nice.

Haven't been on here much in the past few years. But in that time a little more rust got into the bottom due to a beer leak.

Sanded the inside using 60 grit sand paper then used a rustoleum spray paint rust converter/primer then 3 coats of appliance epoxy. Later the wood will get refinished.

Little more rust
spacer.gif

sanded down
255297_10100380912006313_954837819_n.jpg

More sanding
530111_10100380912530263_1986039218_n.jpg

Primed
484071_10100380913134053_201789126_n.jpg

It is currently on its final coat of paint on the inside, will get pics of that later and will caulk it as well. The inside looks almost brand new.
269781_10100382658022283_2031092533_n.jpg

Back