Strange, floating, spongy, tub looking iceburgs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkeydude

Reaction score
I've got the Brass Ale Extract Kit from Midwest (Bass Ale Clone) in the fermenter, been there since Sunday (5/17). Went through a vigorous fermentation over the past couple of days and settled out the past couple.
I peeked in on it today and it looks like the krausen has turned into a solid sponge on the top, nearly solidified. I gave it a swirl (from the outside, didn't put anything in it and didn't splash, just swirled) and it broke to pieces and started to drop to the bottom. Some chunks floated back up and look like sponge icebergs.
The beer is looking almost clear. Could this have already gone through the fermentation stage? (SG 1.043) I've got a Amber Honey sitting next to it that is still cranking (higher gravity, expected).
It literately looks like chunks of sponge floating on top (might call it SpongeBob Square Beer!)
I know it's probably o.k. but, I've never seen this before. Any one have any insight?
Photo_052209_001.jpg

Choc it up to too many years away from HB I suppose. I've never seen it look solid like this before. Just strange to me that it would turn into a cake on the top side of the fermenter, then float back up...
Thanks for the reply I hope I didn't do anything detrimental...Arrrgghhh.
Photo_052209_003.jpg

That's yeast floating at the top of the beer, it hasn't fallen out yet - no big deal at all. If it stays, just rack under it.

FYI: A gentle swirl will not cause any issues.

My last few batches, it looked like someone mixed cottage cheese and meringue together and floated it on top of my beer.

That's why they call it top fermenting yeast! Those just appear to be extraordinarily happy yeast. It should drop out eventually. A cold conditioning period after fermentation is complete may also help. Some of the yeast colonies are probably floating because they have some CO2 bubbles clinging to them making them more bouyant.

This helps a lot. I made a Kolsch last week and it fermented really fast (it was in a bucket)

When I went to rack to secondary there were these white floaty things all over the place and I wondered if maybe the batch went bad. When I racked it I was careful not to put any of these into the secondary.

From what Ive seen its either excess proteins or yeast that floated to the top.

Back