braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I just thinking out loud here but this is what I have been working on

8lbs of honey added to 3 gallons of water with yeast energizer and nutrient

mashing
5 lbs 2row
1/4 lb vienna malt
1/4 lb caramunich 60

some styrian goldings

pitching wlp 500
crash cooling to drop yeast
and then adding lalvin D47 or champagne yeast

any thoughts are appreciated

I would recommend you add the honey post boil, as the high temps can dry off a lot of the characteristics of the honey. I don't know beers, so that's about it on the advice I can give you, so I hope some others can help you out. You could always try to get the attention of Solstice or BigKahuna.

thanks for the input

I was planning on heating the must separately to around 170 I was thinking that would kill any unwanted yeasts and ensure a clean fermentation.

any thoughts on the yeast additions?

You've got my attention.

Looks like a viable Braggot to me. I would either add ALL of the yeast at once if you are dead set to use the 500, or just skip it and use the D-47. If you add the D-47 that late, you'll just end up with it being funky because the yeast will skip the resperation phase and move streight to an under populated ferment on second rate wort.

I'd add honey at yeast temps, because I'm getting really opposed to heating honey at all. Just me though.

Back