Oh my God, what is that smell????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
These are the words that SWMBO uttered when she walked into the apartment a couple nights ago. I brewed an American Wheat on Tuesday and put it in the fermenter. On Wednesday evening our apartment was filled with the most wretched smell that one can imagine. The smell permeated the entire place, which isnt that big to begin with anyways. The next day the smell seems to have dissipated, but when I get close to the bucket I can still smell a faint odor of a$$ coming from the bucket. It's almost a sulphery smell. Is this normal??? Thanks.

Some yeasts, especially lager yeasts as well as some ingredients (such as certain brands) of apple juice used for apfelwein) produce sulfur compounds while being fermented.

It's all normal, but fermentation can often be and ugly and smelly..but the end result is so-so good.

:D

Thanks for the reassurance. I was hoping this was normal. I know, I know, RDWHAHB. I should rely on that advice more often!!!

Thanks for the reassurance. I was hoping this was normal. I know, I know, RDWHAHB. I should rely on that advice more often!!!

Yes you should:D

Here print this out and stick it wherever you keep your fermenters.

warninglabel1.jpg

I believe that the technical brewing term is "rhino farts". Like Revvy said, not all yeast strains or ingredients create this smell. It's worst during primary fermentation, but should be gone in a few days.

What yeast did you use? I've used Wyeast 1010 American Wheat a few times and the fermentation smells have been brutal. Just as bad as Apfelwein.

All I gotta say is you bette hope SWMBO likes this beer. I know from experience that my SWMBO didn't like the smell of my apfelwein fermenting but when she tasted it she took it all back. :D

What yeast did you use? I've used Wyeast 1010 American Wheat a few times and the fermentation smells have been brutal. Just as bad as Apfelwein

Yep, I used Wyeast 1010 activator. Speaking of which, anyone else ever had a hell of a time "smacking" the pack?? It musta took me 10 tries to get it to break!! Think I'll go back to dry yeast....

All I gotta say is you bette hope SWMBO likes this beer. I know from experience that my SWMBO didn't like the smell of my apfelwein fermenting but when she tasted it she took it all back.

Ahhhh yes, SWMBO..... Well, she has yet to experience "real beer". She prefers hers from a silver can, Bud Light, or as I call it "watered down horse pi$$". But, I'm hoping with one of my home brews (this is only my second batch and the other is in bottles now) I might be able to win her over!!!

Yep, I used Wyeast 1010 activator. Speaking of which, anyone else ever had a hell of a time "smacking" the pack?? It musta took me 10 tries to get it to break!! Think I'll go back to dry yeast....

I try to put the little packet into the corner of the smack pack and give it a good smack with the bottom of my palm. I'll smack it a few times just to make sure it popped. You'll get the hang of it... practice makes perfect. :mug:

I just get the nutrient pack trapped in the corner and squeeze it with my thumbs to pop it. I'm afraid of blowing up the whole package LOL

... anyone else ever had a hell of a time "smacking" the pack?? It musta took me 10 tries to get it to break!!

You can use light pressure with a beer bottle or rolling pin to chase the packet into a corner. Once you've got it pinned into the corner you can apply a bit more pressure and the packet will rupture. No drama, no slippery packet trying to get away, no banging noises in the kitchen, no cursing.

This is easy peasy and I encourange people to try it at least once. Having done it a while back I know I will never have to fight another pack again.

Back