How to pronounce...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone want to take a stab at this one? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Damn crazy Welsh!

Yeah, I used to live in Wales (just across the English border). When I first arrived, it took me a week to learn how to pronounce those first two L's at the beginning of every word. Every road sign for towns looked the same. I lived near Llangollen, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn, Llansilin, Llechrydau, Rhydycroesau, and Moelfre... none of which are pronounced like they look.

Memories... sometimes I miss my daily drive-to-work routine of chasing sheep that broke loose down a single lane road with 6 foot hedgerows on both sides, all while dodging oncoming traffic (single lane, remember!).

Yeah, I used to live in Wales (just across the English border). When I first arrived, it took me a week to learn how to pronounce those first two L's at the beginning of every word. Every road sign for towns looked the same. I lived near Llangollen, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn, Llansilin, Llechrydau, Rhydycroesau, and Moelfre... none of which are pronounced like they look.

Memories... sometimes I miss my daily drive-to-work routine of chasing sheep that broke loose down a single lane road with 6 foot hedgerows on both sides, all while dodging oncoming traffic (single lane, remember!).

Oooh, Llangollen. They have a kewl Doctor Who museum there, They have the fur-suited, crab-clawed, brain-in-a-goldfish-bowl monster there that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Seeing it in real life at 31 scared the crap out of me all over again, I **** you not!

Back on topic, I heard that they were going to officially change Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch to LLanfair. That would be a bad idea. The only reason we went was to get piccies taken with the sign! There's little enough to do in Wales as it is. ;)

Anyone want to take a stab at this one? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Damn crazy Welsh!

Gnome is from the UK, he should know this. :D

Yep! I know that one! it's easy!!

To get the"Ll" at the beginning you simply huck up a greeny from the back of the throat, then for the rest of the word you simply disconnect your brain from your mouth and make a noise like you are trying to tell Groovepuppy about how civilised the scots are. You do this for exactly 3 minutes, and you are done! :ban:

North Wales is one of the most beautiful places on earth IMHO. I traced my paternal ancestry to Dolgellau and went for a visit a couple of years ago. I absolutely fell in love with the place.

North Wales is one of the most beautiful places on earth IMHO. I traced my paternal ancestry to Dolegellau and went for a visit a couple of years ago. I absolutely fell in love with the place.

Yes, it's a beautiful place. But the people can be a bit, well, Welsh. ;) In the countryside, they like to talk English until a foreigner is in their midst, then all of a sudden they start speaking welsh. It's a secret code for them. ;)

Yep! I know that one! it's easy!!

To get the"Ll" at the beginning you simply huck up a greeny from the back of the throat, then for the rest of the word you simply disconnect your brain from your mouth and make a noise like you are trying to tell Groovepuppy about how civilised the scots are. You do this for exactly 3 minutes, and you are done! :ban:

Yah cheeky beggar. I have sophistication coming out my arse!

What gets me is that English was Anglish from the Angles who got jiggy with the Saxons. Then we came over here & said "f this,were gunna simplify this". So we now have UK English,American English,Aussie English. I always find that it's pronounced "heffavitzn",long I,accents on the ts (like the TZ sound in Slovak) & the "n",with no "e" sound. Funny that my dad's side is from wortemburg,upper Bavaria,which is South Central to us,lolz. And I have to learn the pronunskiashkun...

Here's how I roll:

Mash TON (of bricks)
WERT
SAHZ hops
WILL-UM-ETT
ÆP-FEL-VINE
HEF-EH-VIZEN
TROOB
A-SEE-TUHL (I'm a chemistry person)
A-SET-AL-DE-HIDE
VIT
FUH-GLE
VOR-LAAWF
DIE-A-SEE-TUHL
SACK-AIR-IF-ICK-AY-SHUN

Also, of course, it's pronounced "draft" damnit :D

I like draft better. Draught just means it is "drawn" from a cask. And you thought Popeye's pronunskiashkun was funny...:D

Here's how I roll:

Mash TON (of bricks)
WERT
SAHZ hops
WILL-UM-ETT
ÆP-FEL-VINE
HEF-EH-VIZEN
TROOB
A-SEE-TUHL (I'm a chemistry person)
A-SET-AL-DE-HIDE
VIT
FUH-GLE
VOR-LAAWF
DIE-A-SEE-TUHL
SACK-AIR-IF-ICK-AY-SHUN

Also, of course, it's pronounced "draft" damnit :D

Quite correct, but you should also mark where the stresses are. E.g A-SEE-TUHL, where the possible stresses could be A-see-tuhl, a-SEE-tuhl and a-see-TUHL. Due to a pronunciation conventional rule in english, the first is correct. However, a-se-TAL-de-hide has the stress on the third syllable due to a conventional rule of having the stress on the syllable that precedes -dehyde.

This is in accordance with antepenultimate stress tendency in english, meaning that stress is put on the third to last syllable. E.g. why PHO-to-graph becomes pho-TO-gra-pher.

Latest posts

Back