too much alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radler

Reaction score
I've just put something from primary into secondary which had a SG much higher than I expected (1.130). I dry hopped the secondary but aside from watching them settle down there is no other activity in there (it's been three days). The gravity at racking was 1.040 which depending on how you calculate means the stuff is about 11-13%. Part of why this happened is that this was a 3 gallon batch which somehere along the libe bacame under 2.5 gallons. So the question is this: is it normal that there is no activity or have the yeast given up in the high alc. level? Should I pitch more yeast, if so how? I originally used that Safel s-04 stuff cause it's cheap and I had other ways to make this brew yummy. When I prime to bottle will the dormant yeast really be able to carbonate? I am keeping this at about 63 deg., should I in/decrease the temp? Lotta questions but I would love to have this beer work and I forgot about the high alc. affect on yeast (never done it before). Also, does anybody know a good way to figure out abv. from gravities? Thanks

Radler

Back