Fermenter Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mustgt

Reaction score
I am a new brewer, and I have a slight problem. I have a 7 gallon plastic fermentation bucket and my wort has been fermenting for three days. I check on it today after my class and the yeast head has came up through the airlock and is bubbling out. My concern is contamination, what should i do?

The same thing ALMOST happened to me, yesterday. I have my Westy 12 clone in the primary. Didn't see any activity yesterday morning, but by the time I got home, last night, the kreusen came up, and subsided in 12 hours. It came up and just barely touched the bottom of the airlock. Fortunate for me. I have it sitting in the empty dining room, on a beer case, on my newly refinished oak floors !!!!! Could have been a disaster, not to mention how pi$$ed off I would have been, for maybe ruining the floor.

Anyway, that does happen, I will definitely NOT have the next batch where this one is fermenting. At least I'll get it set in a tote, or just use a blowoff tube. I'll have to get it dog proofed though. A 100 pound Chessy does whatever he wants to do. LOL

Bombo80 said:
The same thing ALMOST happened to me, yesterday. I have my Westy 12 clone in the primary. Didn't see any activity yesterday morning, but by the time I got home, last night, the kreusen came up, and subsided in 12 hours. It came up and just barely touched the bottom of the airlock. Fortunate for me. I have it sitting in the empty dining room, on a beer case, on my newly refinished oak floors !!!!! Could have been a disaster, not to mention how pi$$ed off I would have been, for maybe ruining the floor.

Anyway, that does happen, I will definitely NOT have the next batch where this one is fermenting. At least I'll get it set in a tote, or just use a blowoff tube. I'll have to get it dog proofed though. A 100 pound Chessy does whatever he wants to do. LOL

Mine is a Midas Touch clone and it has been fermenting like mad the last two days, this morning it was fine, and when i got back from class it was like a mini volcano of yeast head lol.

For next time you should think about a blow off tube. Blow off tubes are an easy way to avoid a messy wort explosion. They're easy to set up which is why I use them on every primary fermentation.

no worries........ provided that airlock doesn't get gummed up! Fermenters have been known to swell the lid up into a semi-circle and then BOOM! Stuff exits the bucket with enough umph to hit the ceiling. Just make sure that doesn't happen;)

FSR402 said:
have you been brewing long, or did you want to go for an exotic brew right out of the gates?

As for your problem, like the others have said. No worries.

Yeah I wanted to go for an exotic right out of the gates. The recipe is actually pretty easy IMO, other than the exploding air lock:p . I have an older "mentor" who has been brewing for a few years that is helping me. My roommate and I are both getting into brewing and we are learning, sometimes by mistake, but we are learning. My roommate just bottled his double IPA tonight, It was cool to see it actually come together and now in a couple weeks we will be enjoying it.

Yeah I went ahead and set up a tube leading from the stopper going into a growler that is ~half full of water to prevent the pressure build up. My mentor forgot to mention that I should do that, but when I called him he fixed me up. Thanks for the help guys.

-Chris

Back