Storage temp after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willtate

Reaction score
Hello,

A quick question about bottling...

Lager's been brewing at 12C or 55F and is nearing the end of fermentation so I'm planning on bringing up in temp for diacetyl rest to 18C or 65F for the last couple of days. (this isn't the bit I need help on but correct me if this sounds wrong)

The bit I need help on is with bottling. So the diacetyl rest is finished and I'm ready to bottle. After bottling, what temp should they be stored at. I've read that it's best to crash the temperature after the diacetyl rest but obviously I don't want to kill the yeast before my beer is sufficiently CO2'd.

Should I bottle and keep it at the diacetyl rest temperature of 18C or 65F or take it to its original temperature of 12C or 55F.
And then, when do I crash the temperature (if at all).

I'm planning on getting a cornelius keg and I'm guessing that you can just crash the temperature as soon as the lager's in there since you carbonate with a cylinder?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated... Cheers!

Well, if you are making a lager which you intend to lager, then you would probably transfer to a secondary and lager it at lagering temperatures for several weeks or longer. then you would bottle it (perhaps needing to add a little more yeast to help with priming) and hit the bottles at priming temp (70F or so) for a couple of weeks, then store them at a cooler temperature. You need a warmer temperature to keep the yeast happy to make your carbonation CO2.

Back