using a dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

Reaction score
Is is o.k. to use the dishwasher for cleaning equipment. The water temp in one is really hot and has to be a good cleaner. The reason i`m asking is I was a little concerned about the blue speckled stock pot i`m using. If this is good to use what kind of soap should I buy.

I can't help with the dishwasher questions, as I AM the dishwasher in our house. However, the pot your describing sounds like enamelware. I am currently using a large enamelware canning pot because it's what I have. It's my understanding that they are OK to use as long as there is no pitting or chipping of the enamel that exposes the metal underneath. Apparantly this metal can give an off-taste to your brew. My pot seems to be OK so far; two batches and no off flavors, but I check it before use to make sure there are no chips or scratches.

There are a bunch of threads on here about dishwashers. You'll find people on both sides of the fence.

As for the speckled pot, Maria's got it right. I used one for several years with no issues. If it gets chipped, replace it.

-walker

Back