What did you learn with ph meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
Those who have one.... What did you learn about your process (besides actual ph)?

How often did you have to make changes to be at the optimal ph range ?

Thx.

I learned that by the time I get a sample cooled and remember to check it, the boil is half over.

I learned with Kai's pH meter that my pH was way off, even with the addition of the 5.2 buffer, and that's probably why my efficiency sucks. I also learned with his meter than my "good" pH strips are off by ~0.4.

> "I learned that my ph was way off.."

So what did you do about it?

Are there any other conditions than

o My ph is on target - woohooo! (Wasted $60 bucks)
o My ph is too high - damn, add some acid in there....
3 months later (ph is on target, now I wasted $60 bucks.)

Obviously conditions change for each recipe, but are recipes here generally good on ph ?

( I also want the meter to test the pool ph - stupid color strips don't look like any color.)

Well, Kai added some kind of chemical to adjust my pH, he's way smarter than I am. Since I don't own one myself, that was just a one-time thing - but at least I know know where my efficiency problems are likely arising from.

1. Best $80 I ever spent on brewing.
2. My pH at dough in is usually higher than I would like (my water has RA = 12).
3. I almost never want to add alkalinity.
4. The best spreadsheets are bad at predicting pH. The most popular spreadsheet is horrible at predicting pH.

I learned that the PH of my water, filtered city, varies a lot (7.2-8+). That's probably why my standardized adjustments didn't always work exactly as planned.

Latest posts

Back