Looking for Pliny...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
Probably a common request here. Even so, I'm one of those east coast hop heads that has never tried the Elder or Younger. Ideally, I'd like a few of both (if not more) and would be willing to buy and send anything I can get here on the east coast (CT) for a trade.

Please let me know if anyone is interested!

Honestly, if you're looking for a big hop bitterness, I'd go elsewhere. I've never tried pliny the younger, so maybe it's better.

I'm not saying the beer wasn't good... it was awesome how balanced it is. But, it's not near as hoppy as you'd expect. "Not a hopheads dream beer" is all I'm saying.

Honestly, if you're looking for a big hop bitterness, I'd go elsewhere. I've never tried pliny the younger, so maybe it's better.

I'm not saying the beer wasn't good... it was awesome how balanced it is. But, it's not near as hoppy as you'd expect. "Not a hopheads dream beer" is all I'm saying.

depends on what kind of hop head you are. I am not sure you can consider a beer that has 3 times the amount of hops as Ruination "not hoppy"

The Younger's a different animal. I like hops, but I don't like hops for the sake of them, so PTE never really did it for me, but I managed to enjoy a PTY that ricand on here picked up last month, and have to say it was one of the best beers I've ever had. It's a lot maltier than the nose suggests, but tons of citrusy goodness that balances out. Truly fantastic.

Good luck getting the Younger tho. It's brewed once a year, and this time it was sold out in a few hours. People actually flew in from all over the country for the release, and last I saw, growlers of it were going for $100+ on ebay.

Craig, I would try going on beeradvocate.com and trading for PtE. It does not get shipped to the east coast.

Pliny the Elder and Younger are both amazing. They are both not something like Arrogant Bastard or Ruination, much smoother and more balanced.

I'd be willing to trade Pliny the Elder for some Two-Hearted Ale and/or Founders Breakfast Stout. Although I have an easier time finding it on tap, I know a couple of places around here where I can pick up bottles of Pliny.

PTE is good, but I still prefer Founders Double Trouble or Bells Hopslam.... I have a sft spot for Founders because I get to drink all their awesome tap only brews like Hand Of Doom.

Back