help me tweak this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javedian

Reaction score
This will be my first batch in a few years, and my first mini-mash (I have done ~15 batches with various specialty grains). I am going for a winter beer loosely based on a nut brown ale. Please feel free to make suggestions on any or all parts of this concoction.

Honey Nut Cheery Oooh!

Mini-Mash single-step 60 min @150-155 dF
.25 lb chocolate malt
.5 - 1 lb oats
.5 - 1 lb crystal 60L or mix of 20 & 80
1-2 lbs basic malt 2-row, 6-row, or ? sugestions ?

extracts
4lbs Alexander Pale LME
1.5lbs honey

Hops
1 oz challenger or norther brewer 60 min
.5 oz Fuggles or cascade 15 min
.5 oz Fuggles or cascade EOB

Other
1 cinnamon stick 30 min

Yeast
White labs (suggestions?) or dry

I have used Wyeast many times, but want to try to use White to get a quicker fermentation going without a starter. I have not used dry yeast after my first few batches (1993) - are they any better now, or shoud I go for the White Labs?

I plan to brew shortly after Thanksgiving - way to busy for the next week.

Thanks in advance!

Just a heads up on the honey... it's not going to impart really any honey flavor at all. It's mainly used to introduce a large amount of fermentables (ergo increasing abv).

If you're looking for a honey flavor in the malt profile, I'd suggest using a few ounces of honey malt in the mash.

But of course, a little more alcohol never hurt anyone :drunk:

As far as hops, I made a fantastic roasted red using an all-Fuggle hop schedule... but the N Brewers will do well with the Fuggles. Also, if you end up using the Fuggles, I'd recommend the final hop addition at 5 min instead of EOB. If using the Challenger/Cascade combo, EOB is better for that citrusy aroma. Either way would be great though, and it looks like a fantastic recipe!

texasgeorge said:
If you're looking for a honey flavor in the malt profile, I'd suggest using a few ounces of honey malt in the mash.

!

I agree. I did a Honey porter with both. Just steep 1/4-1/2 lb of honey malt and pasturize your honey for the last 10 minites of the boil.

It is said that different types of honey react differently depending on their nectar source, so your results with honey will vary, honey malt will be more consistent. Apparently some honey sources dont yeild any honey flavor/aroma whatsoever, they just jack up the alcohol content. I added 1/3 lb of honey malt and about 1/2 lb of honey and it had a nice ballance. G'luck!

I have used honey in several brews, and have been pleased. I am using it to supplement the fermentables. I will try some honey malt if LHBS has it. I have had good results getting some essence from honey before, with orange blossom and cranberry honeys in lighter brews. Other batches have had it added just as a kicker.

I would like a alc about 6%. Will the above recipie do it, or do I need more malt?

2 LB 2-row, 4 LB Extract, and 1.5 LB honey as a base should get you to 6% with a good attenuating yeast. White Labs WLP051 California Ale V comes to mind.

edit: their Burton Ale strand, 023 (had to look that up on their site), might impart some nice fruity and honey flavors into your beer if you're looking for that sort of thing.

Thanks for your input so far. Here is what I have after shopping today. Coudn't decide on hops, thinking of going back tomorrow to get one more packet of hops (more HBUs for bittering). Suggestions on hop schedule please! I want some balance, not a hoppy beer. Also considering swapping cascade for higher alpha, and using fuggles for flavor / aroma. Other option is 1.5 oz boiling, .25 flavor, .25 aroma using what I have. LHBS was out of honey malt.

Honey Nut Cheery Oooh! Revised

Mini-Mash single-step 60 min @150-155 dF
.25 lb chocolate malt
.5 lb oats
.5 lb flaked wheat
.75 lb crystal (mix of 20 & 90)
2 lbs 2-row

extracts
4lbs Alexander Pale LME
1.5lbs honey

Hops
.5 oz Fuggles 4% 60min
.5 oz Cascade 4% 60min
.5 oz Fuggles or cascade 15 min
.5 oz Fuggles or cascade EOB

Yeast
Nottingham dry

Other
1 cinnamon stick 15-30 min??

Are you looking for the cinnamon to contribute flavor or aroma. I'd like to see it added into the secondary and not the boil.

And if you're looking for a more malty beer with a subdued hop profile, maybe try:

1 oz Fuggles 60 min
.5 oz Fuggles 15 min
.5 oz Cascade 15 min
.5 - 1 oz Cascade at flameout (the more the merrier, but work with what you have!)

G'luck!

Back