• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mash Hawk - 70 Quart (17.5 gallons) Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irpinc

Reaction score
UWJESTER does get credit for the name. Starting a new thread to clean it up a little bit. I'm going to hopefully start working on the web site SOON. Been very busy at work then busy drinking homebrew at night so my time has been a little limited.

All pricing does not include shipping.

Mash Hawk Unit Only: $49.00
Mash Hawk HD Lid: $20.00
Mash Hawk Stacker Base W/Wheels: $32.00

Mash Hawk Set Up #1: $159.00
Mash Hawk
HD Lid
Weldless Kit
False Bottom Option (includes quick connects)

Mash Hawk Set Up #2: $136.00
Hawk Hawk
HD Lid
Weldless Kit
Bazooka Screen

The big difference between the two options is the quick connects.

Again, hopefully the site will be up soon, but for now, here's some picts. And I am getn some new stuff coming next week for some new ideas. I'll share em soon.
http://gallery.me.com/irpimages#100419&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Odd question here: With the lid on, is it flat? And what kind of weight and heat could the top take?
Basically, after I am done with my boil I need to move my kettle into my shower cause that's the only place I can run my CFC right now. So far, the kettle just sits on the floor, but that makes priming the pump a PITA. This looks like it would be a fantastic mash tun to replace my cooler, but I would go from 50% into it to 100% buying one if it would double as a kettle holder once I'd emptied the grain.
Like I said, weird question.

So you want to use the Mash Hawk as a base to move the boil kettle right when its done boiling? So you would defin want the wheels. My only concern would be rolling that boiling wort. Not that I don't think it could handle it, but more for your safety. Ya never know when ya hit a little rock or anything and SPLASH.

BUT, you almost got me thinking of new idea. I may do some investigating on using one of our units as a wort chiller. We have some units that a BK would drop right into to chill. Might take a little engineering but it would totally save on some wasted water running through worth chillers. If this works, we'll work something out for ya. BAM

So now we have a couple more ideas we are going to mess around.
Fermenter
Wort Chiller

I think this just became my favorite homebrew board. Everyone here is so helpful and soooo knowledgeable. I almost feel dumb here. lol

So you want to use the Mash Hawk as a base to move the boil kettle right when its done boiling? So you would defin want the wheels. My only concern would be rolling that boiling wort. Not that I don't think it could handle it, but more for your safety. Ya never know when ya hit a little rock or anything and SPLASH.

I wouldn't roll on it. I would have the Mash Hawk in the bathroom, and carry my kettle in. That's how I do it now anyway. It would just be cool if I could have this one thing pulling double duty, as a MLT and kettle stand.

gotcha. so you would actually run your burner and boil kettle right on. The Mash Hawk would defin hold the weight and even a sheet of plywood over it would support it. I don't think I'd be all too confident in the HD being stable enough. Although we do have some thicker HD material that would prob work well.

Do we add a 4th idea. LOL

Can you explain what this is. I understand it is a large container for mashing but is it insulated to hold mash temp? What is in the bottom?

yeah. Its an ice Merchandiser we developed for the bigger beverage companies. I have a thread we started a while back. I've been using it for about a year as my mash tun. It tests out killer. I used a digital therm on my mashes a couple weekends ago. Mash #1 started at 158 and went down to 157 during the hour. Mash #2 started at 154 and stayed at 154 for the whole hour. The units are fully insulated. We have to keep the big boys happy with our units. No condensation or leaking. The unit is double walled and the core is 100% insulated. We made this particular unit a little shorter core so the C-stores didn't have to use as much ice. It's almost like it was engineered for our 6-12 gallon homebrew batches. lol

I have the stuff ordered to give this unit a try as a fermenter. I'll defin take plenty of picts and keep everyone up to date on the results.

Fermenter question? What type of plastic is it? There are concerns with anything that might be oxygen permeable or that could have issues with leeching. Those are considerations to keep in mind.

We mold all our units with Food Grade LLDPE. I'd have to kill ya if I told ya about our industry exclusive roto-molding equipment and techniques. lol

Thats one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on using it for fermenting yet. We have the engineers involved on the testing and they have a few things that'll be able to read the plastic to see if anything actually seeped in or tainted, blahblahblah. They had way more technical terms that I did.

Thanks everyone for all the input and help! An no I'm not just saying that to put the thread at the top of the list again...

the picts show a HD plastic sheet that I use. It's not the official lid for that particular unit. It just works perfect and its a lot cheaper. lol. I have a few samples of HD cut to the size of the Mash Hawk (basically just for looks). Plus I'm going to be doin some testing of this unit as a fermenter. Hopefully this weekend.

We've actually sold several of em already. They are ready when you are. wink wink.

We've actually sold several of em already. They are ready when you are. wink wink.

I'm not gonna buy anything without pictures of everything I'm buying. sorry. Not to mention I've asked for a quote already to ship one to 45601 and not heard anything. Not really chomping at the bit to drop that kind of money on something I've not seen from someone who can't get back to me with a quote. wink wink.

I'll do a thorough review once I get mine. I'm behind in brewing for the summer, so i'll be hitting it hard once I receive it.

Shipping to your zip is $35.39.

I have a session with a studio for professional pictures on schedule. Everything you would get (you obviously choose your options) is shown in a picture on that link. The newer pictures will show the same stuff but just a higher quality of image.

I'm guessing the PM's didn't go through. I sent you the quote on 2/18 and another response on 2/19. Let me know if ya have any other questions.

What is the minimum amount of grain one should run in one of these in order to have a proper filter bed?

I am going to be getting into all grain after I move in April. Most of the beer I will make will be high gravity but could I do a normal (~.050) 5 gallon batch in this?

I don't mind spending the money if this isn't going to warp and crack like a cooler will from boiling water, is this a concern with this product?

UWJESTER does get credit for the name. Starting a new thread to clean it up a little bit. I'm going to hopefully start working on the web site SOON. Been very busy at work then busy drinking homebrew at night so my time has been a little limited.

All pricing does not include shipping.

Mash Hawk Unit Only: $49.00
Mash Hawk HD Lid: $20.00
Mash Hawk Stacker Base W/Wheels: $32.00

Mash Hawk Set Up #1: $159.00
Mash Hawk
HD Lid
Weldless Kit
False Bottom Option (includes quick connects)

Mash Hawk Set Up #2: $136.00
Hawk Hawk
HD Lid
Weldless Kit
Bazooka Screen

The big difference between the two options is the quick connects.

Again, hopefully the site will be up soon, but for now, here's some picts. And I am getn some new stuff coming next week for some new ideas. I'll share em soon.
http://gallery.me.com/irpimages#100419&bgcolor=black&view=grid

That Gallery is empty, or moved. Where are the pictures of this thing?

I'm fairly sure he isn't around anymore. I am one of the few who actually bought one, a very good mashtun, imo.

_

I used one direct heated for about 12-15 test batches; I had a 5500w element installed into the recess. On the first actual brew, the element got pushed down where it was making contact with the plastic and it melted through-- user error! :( But, as wildwest said, it is a very nice MLT.

FYI for the ball valve I used a 3/4" mpt to 1/2" mpt adapter that threaded right into the mashhawk, and that worked perfectly-- no need for a weldless setup.

:mug:

Email via the website. I am looking to buy one of these sometime this fall/winter. He got back with in a day or two and they are still selling them. If I got one I'd have to actually make a brew stand for myself or at least a stand to put the mash tun on. Then again now that I have a pump I can just get this to sit anywhere that can drain in the pot and put my hot liquor above that on a stand of some sort.

I emailed him. Hopefully he gets back to me because this thing looks a whole hell of a lot easier to deal with than direct heating a keggle mashtun or using a cooler which will get warped to hell and back after a few batches.

What cooler are you using? I've been using a Coleman Extreme 52qt and it's as good as the day I bought the thing.

I do really want to buy this but the one thing that's keeping me from really dropping the money is the height. There is a quite a bit of dead space underneath the actual mashing area. I guess I'd just have to buy it and figure out how to brew with it using gravity.

What cooler are you using? I've been using a Coleman Extreme 52qt and it's as good as the day I bought the thing.

I do really want to buy this but the one thing that's keeping me from really dropping the money is the height. There is a quite a bit of dead space underneath the actual mashing area. I guess I'd just have to buy it and figure out how to brew with it using gravity.
I am using a converted keg to mash. To keep temps I have to direct fire and recirculate. My friend used the cooler and it ended up warping and leaking. The keg is cool, but it doesn't hold temp nearly as good as the mash hawk. I could literally throw my grain in and walk away for an hour if I wanted to.

The height doesn't bother me because I am doing in a garage and have a lot of room.

[email protected]

That's the email I used. I had a reply the same day.

I already emailed him once at that email. I decided to try again this time making the email more memorable in the hopes of a reply. I think I nailed it:

my email to Shelton said:
Shelton my man,

I badly need a mash hawk. When I sleep at night I dream of mash hawks, when I am in class I draw doodles of mash hawks, my background on my computer is a mash hawk, hell even my homepage is the mash hawk homepage. I cannot get the thought of the superior insulation out of my brain. 154 degrees to start and 153 degrees an hour later, UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE! Please kind sir, help me in my quest to stave off this hunger for a mash hawk. I must buy one with a bazooka screen and ball valve as soon as humanly possible. My zip code is 30601, so please Shelton "the Mash Hawk" Nelson(I don't know if that is your last name, but it has a nice ring to it) get back to me so my dreams may be fulfilled.

Hope to here from you soon!

Bryan Hamade

The Mash Hawk came in the mail today! Thanks man it looks great I just wish it was a bit deeper since there is all that extra space.

I'm happy with the size of it at 70qts but I wish it didn't have all the extra space. That extra space has me up in the air as to whether or not I still want to buy one. I don't know how I'd fit this thing into my mostly gravity fed brewing style. I don't have a stand, I don't have a dedicated brewing space, and I don't have a pump with a low enough flow to sparge in that manner. So as much as I want one right now I'd have to spend even more to get a pump between HL and mah.

You can just cut the bottom of the side walls off so that the interior shell is closer to the bottom of the exterior shell. Since it's main purpose was for drink storage at a convenience store, they wanted that thing to be self contained, up high, but not have that full depth inside or you'd never be able to reach the drinks at the bottom.

Unfortunately these things apparently feel prey to horrible marketing and underdevelopment.

There are a couple other places to buy these from in different configurations and with the lid but they are retail prices.

md_n59096.jpg

Back