To all the Noobs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Listen to the experienced guys on the forum, also I can reinforce the point that KEEPING YOUR BEER IN THE FRIDGE FOR 2+ WEEKS WILL IMPROVE IT.

I have kept some brews in the fridge for a extended period...maybe 2 to 3 weeks at the most. It really calmed down some of the off-flavors in the beer and improved the total flavor of the beer.

If you are in doubt and think your beer sucks, just keep it in the fridge. A day or two is not enough to really make a difference, yeah it is cold, but there is more going on, I don't know exactly why, but it works!

I had a very crappy batch of Cream Ale with a lot of harsh bitterness and bad flavor. After 2 weeks in the fridge and 2 months of aging it is a good beer at best, good enough to give to friends to drink for watching football!

But really, be patient and listen to all the other experienced homebrewers on this site for other advice, but this is for real. Just let it chill in the fridge and be patient, I have yet to dump a brew and I am 50+ gallons into the hobby.

I would have to agree. As much as it seems like a lot of the advice is redundant and almost always revolves around letting things sit for a long time, it is generally right on. Seriously, it's hard to screw up beer and if you give it enough time it will usually turn out great.

Don't rush it. If you're that impatient, get started on another batch while you're waiting. You'll be glad you did once you have a solid pipeline built up and aren't cracking beers after trying to let them carb up for just five days.

I would have to agree. As much as it seems like a lot of the advice is redundant and almost always revolves around letting things sit for a long time, it is generally right on. Seriously, it's hard to screw up beer and if you give it enough time it will usually turn out great.

Don't rush it. If you're that impatient, get started on another batch while you're waiting. You'll be glad you did once you have a solid pipeline built up and aren't cracking beers after trying to let them carb up for just five days.

Ditto! Well said.

Patience is a virtue.

Even better, let it age at room temp, THEN chill it before drinking.

All those "mellowing effects" that time gives happen faster at room temp.

What the OP is saying is that instead of quickly chilling in the fridge for an hour or two before drinking, put a few in there and let them sit for a few days at least. I don't know what happens either, but it does make a difference. (Maybe just 2 weeks of wanting that beer so bad makes them taste better, who knows).

Even better, let it age at room temp, THEN chill it before drinking.

All those "mellowing effects" that time gives happen faster at room temp.

Oh yeah I didn't make that clear, I let them sit at 70F or so for more than a month, then at least 2 weeks in the fridge.

The bigger the beer the longer you should wait. I have an IPA that I brewed around mid July. Left it in secondary until mid August, bottles at room temp until mid Sept. I put it in the fridge this past week, tasted one to get a gauge on where it was and will leave them there until the Phish Halloween shows in Indio California. Should be perfect around then.

As a noob, I find this thread delivers.
Just like the veterans around here.

What the OP is saying is that instead of quickly chilling in the fridge for an hour or two before drinking, put a few in there and let them sit for a few days at least. I don't know what happens either, but it does make a difference. (Maybe just 2 weeks of wanting that beer so bad makes them taste better, who knows).

Same thing with the keg, I can't totally taste the difference between 1 and 3 weeks, also if you don't filter your beer it clears more as the weeks go on.

Back