first batch questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabrew

Reaction score
just siphoned from primary to secondary (carboy caps worked great by the way), and am looking ahead to next step and measuring gravity before bottling.
Q1) How the heck do i get the hyrdometer out of the carboy?
Q2) should i detach the racking cane from the siphon hose or just clean and sanitize entire piece?

thanks for your help!

just siphoned from primary to secondary (carboy caps worked great by the way), and am looking ahead to next step and measuring gravity before bottling.
Q1) How the heck do i get the hyrdometer out of the carboy?
Q2) should i detach the racking cane from the siphon hose or just clean and sanitize entire piece?

thanks for your help!

1. don't put the hydrometer IN the carboy. It's got a good chance of breaking that way, plus it's very difficult to read if you get krausen all over it. Use a wine thief or sanitized turkey baster to take your samples out of the carboy, and put it in a hydrometer test jar. It it's already in there, you'll have to be very careful getting it out. That's my only advice.

2. You can separate it, or leave it together, it doesn't matter at all.

cool, thanks. Now i remeber reading something about a turkey baster but didn't occur to me. Guess I'm too wrapped up in the frenzy of making my own beer!!:mug:

cool, thanks. Now i remeber reading something about a turkey baster but didn't occur to me. Guess I'm too wrapped up in the frenzy of making my own beer!!:mug:

Now is probably a good time to tell you it gets worse. Wait until you're walking through a grocery store thinking, "Hmmmm- I wonder if I could ferment THAT?" or, "Hmmmm- I haven't brewed in three days. I wonder what I can make today", or "Hmmmm- Do I really NEED a three tier brewing sculpture?" I'm just sayin.......................

It's an addictive hobby, and it makes us all pretty passionate. The best part is you can drink your hobby! How cool is that?!?

lol! thanks for your help and yes, i'm really looking forward to this! I can feel the obsession starting to set in!

right when you start the siphon before going into the carboy siphon a little bit into the hydrometer test jar thing. about $4-5 at the HBS. i didnt buy one at first, but the third time i brewed i got one and am very happy i did.

yes detach the hose from the cane, cant be too careful

go get an auto siphon, its even more handy than the hydrometer test jar

be careful- i brewed my first batch early march, and now i have 4 primaries, 4 better bottles, 10G MLT, 15G kettle with spigot, sightglass and thermo attached, homemade IC, turkey fryer and 2 propane tanks.... you'll be tired of extract by the fourth or fifth batch...

jackson, I like the amount brewed for 2009. Just updated mine, hope ya don't mind!

Kabrew - welcome

Yoop, stay classy - you're my hero!

Back